1928 GMC-Buick Big Brute water pump leaking

JDSig

My GMC T42 Buick water pump is steadily leaking water around the shaft that connects to the distributor.  I've added marine lube to the grease fitting and it hasn't helped.  The nut on the shaft was loose and I tightened it some but need some advice on how "tight" it should be.  At what point do I need to repack it and any suggestions on technique to do so?  This rebuild is about 10 years old with maybe 100-200 miles on it since then.

If it was so newly rebuilt ( mile wise), it shouldn't need repacking. Tighten the nut while the shaft is turning until the drip just slows to a weep. A drop here and there is normal. You could back off the packing nut and add grease to make sure it is lubed. 

• Like 1

JD you may have to back the packing nut off and add some additional packing. Don't put too much compression on the packing. It can overheat the shaft and the packing. Usually just tighten until the leak stops. You can also check the temperature of the packing area by hand while the engine is running. Do this after engine has been at a fast idle for a few minutes. My 29 car seems to always seep a small amount . I just accept it along with the other small flaws.

• Like 1

I just repacked my water pump packing nuts and have lots of extra packing. It's 1/4 x 1/4 square, graphite rope packing. It was the first time in 90 years it has been repacked so I don't think I need the rest of it until 2110.

Send me a box full of money and I'll send it to you.