D-day. 76 years ago today, June 6th, 1944

Dandy Dave

76 years ago today, June 6th, The Allies landed. It was an amazing feat and many manufacturing facilities were converted to the production of equipment and supplies in relatively short order to help win the war. To all who serve, and who have served, I salute thee. Thank you for your service. Last year, an old friend past on that served under General Patton. He was in the crowd when Patton gave his famous speech. I don't want you to die for your country, I want the other SOB to die for his. He told his story of his part in the war until his dyeing day. This post is in Memory of Richard Boswell. Patton's 5th Army. Tank Division. He was wounded during his service and carried shrapnel and the scars of battle for nearly 3/4ths of a century. Dick was an avid International Harvester Collector. Most of his collection was Farmall Cub, and I.H.C. Cub Cadet tractors and I was glad to be able to call him a friend.  He also had a Buick or two though the years and liked Chevy trucks. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

My uncle Carmine Coletti, my mother's only brother, was assigned to Patton's 3rd Army and died in the Battle of the Bulge.  My hat's off to the Greatest Generation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Salute to the veterans.  Joyce's Dad served in Patton's army.

Joyce and I have been to Normandy and walked the American Cemetery.  Extremely moving experience seeing the graves of all that gave it all.  We also went to a Commonwealth Cemetery and a German Cemetery. Very different for different reasons.  It was an experience walking the beaches of Utah, Omaha, and Juno. Words can not really capture the experience.

For the other end of the pendulum swing, we also went to Dachau and saw the evil that happened there.  Both places were very moving experiences for very different reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1