Historic site vehicles - second post

Preston Hull

Ok, here's the second one (see previous post for explanation). Even I think I know what this is, but there's no badge on the grille, which is enough to throw me. Maryland license plate from 1918 or 1920, I believe.

Could this be what's parked in the garage in my first post?

historic site 2.jpg

Thanks Dave for that clarification--that kind of detail is very helpful.

Dusty, I am impressed--like my other post about the Packard, those are some details that I had from a grandson that I didn't know I could trust. He said "I can remember grandmother's first car was a Model-T Ford and it had brass headlamps, had brass windshield and brass things that held the windshield up....they paid extra and got a self-starter which had a magneto...and then you switched it over to battery or something." This guy was wrong about a lot of stuff, but apparently he was paying attention to his grandparents' cars. 

Any idea whether those accessories were options from Ford or aftermarket, or when they became available? 

2 hours ago, Preston Hull said:

Thanks Dave for that clarification--that kind of detail is very helpful.

Dusty, I am impressed--like my other post about the Packard, those are some details that I had from a grandson that I didn't know I could trust. He said "I can remember grandmother's first car was a Model-T Ford and it had brass headlamps, had brass windshield and brass things that held the windshield up....they paid extra and got a self-starter which had a magneto...and then you switched it over to battery or something." This guy was wrong about a lot of stuff, but apparently he was paying attention to his grandparents' cars. 

Any idea whether those accessories were options from Ford or aftermarket, or when they became available? 

Making  a dizzying  array of accessories to fit Ford Model Ts was probably THE cottage industry in the 'teens and '20s., with installing them a close second.

Old Henry was selling his "T"s as fast as his workers could churn them  out  and thought his baby was perfect as is, so there werent any FACTORY accessories or options besides an engine-mounted electric starter and gear-driven generator starting in 1919 (Closed cars only! Open cars had to wait a year). All model "T"s had the once innovative, self contained flywheel magneto ignition, but electric starter cars had an additional 6 volt storage battery in the system that you could use to energize the coils  to theoretically  start it a bit easier, then you switched your ignition from "BATT"  over to "MAG" to drive. I think hes mangling those details a bit but he's on the right path!

All the accessories pictured are aftermarket, either installed by the owner, an independent garage, or on the sly by an authorized Ford dealership

• Thanks 1