39 Chrysler, searching for the correct carb

Right now the car has a Carter D6H2 1 barrel , 6-595 with a small stamped 7EO before the D6H2. From what I can find it is for a late 40's Plymouth.  What I am having is a little wee-page around the shafts which I am pretty sure is causing a slight vacuum miss at low idle. It will need rebuilt and as far as I can tell it will be much like the one of my 46 Dodge. But cannot nail down what should be on it. I would like to find the correct one even if a rebuild-able core.

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Thank you Jon. ! Can you tell me the difference between the D6H2 I am running now that seems a little rich until totally warmed up and the Carter E6N1 ?

Not without doing several hours of research, and (opinion) not worth the time/cost.

Both are the Ball & Ball design, which were some of the worst downdraft carburetors ever built by Carter, which Carter themselves freely admitted.

So:

(1) Be original (E6N1 or E6N2)

OR if you plan to drive the car

(2) Install a carburetor with a better record than the type BBR's such as the replacement Stromberg available in the day

Jon

• Like 1

The Chysler 6 is 242 CID.

Stromberg made a carburetor SPECIFICALLY for the Chrysler application.

The Strombergs listed in your other thread are made for 218 CID engines.

Better than the Ball & Ball, but still far from optimal.

Jon.

• Like 1

I'm kinda shocked you say the B&B carbs are one of the worst produced.

I've run EV1's, D6H2's, E9G1's etc.

Simple to rebuild if needed. 

I run them on cars and trucks I have owned for over 40 years trouble free.

As for Stromberg one and two barrels have had issues with those..side levers,  worn pivots.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, c49er said:

I'm kinda shocked you say the B&B carbs are one of the worst produced.

I've run EV1's, D6H2's, E9G1's etc.

Simple to rebuild if needed. 

I run them on cars and trucks I have owned for over 40 years trouble free.

As for Stromberg one and two barrels have had issues with those..side levers,  worn pivots.

Of all the carburetors Carter ever produced, from about 1909 through the end in 1985, the BBR series is the ONLY series for Carter to ever publish a trouble-shooting guide:

Carter BBR issues

A gentleman much wiser than me once said: "baloney is great, if you have never tasted steak"! ;)

There is a long story that I have posted before here (hopefully, search will find it) about Plymouth using the much better W-1 (Chevrolet) carburetor in for a limited time in 1947.

If not, and you wish to hear it, give me a call during normal telephone hours, I don't type as well as I once did.

Jon.

Thanks Jon for your great informational reply!

I have not seen those two pages you posted in any of my three Carter books.🤔

I work on lots of mid thirties to late 50's MoPars.

I will copy those Carter service sheets if I need to reference them in the future.

You always give excellent advice.