Cowlboard tack strips

rhurst

Working on the upholstery of my 1923 Hudson and finding several different widths of cowlboard tack strips  1 inch 2 inch etc. Does anyone know a source for these or do I have to make them myself.  I have the board and can cut it to size and then I guess I just drive my tacks through it.  My guess is 100 years ago that is what they did.  Any help on this?
Robert

Hudson window piece under upholstery .JPG

Usually the fabric was nailed down, then the board would be put along the finish line and tacked, then material folded over to cover...thus the board gave a smooth edge.  I don't know of any panel board or panel strip that has tacks already in it.  There are strips of metal with nails attached.

Where exactly is the application in your project?

Upholstery supply places sell tacking strips made of thick cardboard with the tacks already installed. You wrap them in fabric and hammer in place. Different kinds of hidem and welting also available. Look in the Yellow Pages there should be one near you. They will sell to anybody there are lots of little mom and pop upholstery shops.

9 hours ago, rhurst said:

David,

You have a wonderful list of cars.  Should keep you very busy keeping them all running.

Robert

Keeping them all running?  Ha!  I’d have to hire a helper.....but I try...

From Alexandria La, live in Virginia now....

I’ve not seen nor used pre-tacked strips, glad to know they exist!  Thanks dc