1946 Chevy pu 3/4 TON

I HAVE A 1946 Chevy 3/4 pu  with a 4 speed tranny in  it

WILL THIS TRANY BE A SYNCHRONISED TRANNY OR how can  I tell for sure ?

Tranny is still in the truck and the motor is stuck.

If the trany is a SYNCHRONISED I would get it out and put it my 1939  Chevy  pu.

46 trucks did not have a synchronized 4 speed. The 3 speed however was in 2nd, and 3rd gears. The Advanced Design model did. Not sure if that started with the first year in mid 1947, or later. In the AD model the 3/4 ton models were unique in that they had an open drive line to the carrier bearing so it might work in your 39 either. Pull the top off of the transmission and look for the brass synchronizer rings. Art

My 39 was modified  before I got it. It had a 3 speed and  the drive shaft was closed a ways back and then it was open to 1954 chevy  rear end.

I found a 1937 GMC 1 1/2 TON And the drive shaft was open all the way , I shortened it and put the old 4 speed in it and  shortened the shaft to fit and that is what it is running now .

I do have a 4 speed out of a 1953 GMC 3/4 TON That is a sinkro  but don’t know what all I will need to  fit that in.

I still have the 3 speed and all, i seldom get rid of anything  I have the 37 11/2 but it is rough and  parts missing the motor is still there and the rear end.

• 7 months later...