1988 Blown engine

I have a chance to get an 88' w/140k that has a blown engine. It has been kept up well with all maintenance done by a garage w/ receipts. $1,500.oo OBO bout a two hour drive to get it. Is it worth it???? confused.gif

The gentleman that has it for sale is a foriegner and doesn't have a very good command of the english language. The only contact I've had with him is via e-mail and it was his son's who is off to college and the father want's to get rid of it to help pay for school.The gent said that their mechanic was driving it when it blew 'bout two weeks ago. Hey I just subscribed as "oneno" wink.gif

For what it's worth, overhaul of engine in my '89 was $1283.00 and the only replacements were the pistons and one rod, everything else was reworked (heads, honing the cylinders, valves, etc). I expected to pay more so I was happy but that makes your '88 a 2800.00 car without consideration of transmission or suspension -- one or both will probably need attention, which seems to be the upper limit of value for an 88 (or 89) with the miles you report.

Tell me about...

[*]Paint

[*]Seats

[*]Carpets

[*]Headliner

[*] Tires & rims

[*]Struts

[*]Electronics

[*]Transmission

[*]Air conditioning

[*]etc!!!

If all are perfect likely still not worth $1500

What climate has the car been in all of its life?

Offer $600 and you could still be paying too much once you get it up and running properly.

Run and don't look back! crazy.gif

For what it's worth, I know of an engine out of a '90 Reatta with (1) only 82,000 miles, and (2) a knock in the top end. It's crated on rollers, and probably free for anyone near Minnesota. Let me know if you're interested.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALF1</span> (Got cat?)

2.3..OR-4 POST HERE FOR A RUNNING REATTA FOR $1500 AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY TAKERS. IF you do not have the right motor [reatta] ready to put in;;; then let it go. Yah, I know most 3.8's will fit but it is much easier changing [same to same].......Funny but I have a donor car/w/motor with 270.000 miles showing and it runs better than the one in my 162,000 mile Reatta. Would like to find a [cheap] Reatta close to home that needs a motor. 2nd thought, I do not need another project.............on another note. was getting parts with consultant at the bone yard from a 90 Reatta and the guy said that the 3.8 runs so well that there is never any call for them. He said when the Reatta goes to the crusher he probably will not even pull the motor........ken

Guest checkers

Hensoneno I just bought a 88 coupe with 140,000 miles on it last month for $950.00. The car was in good shape no rust runs and drives good. The crt screen is toasted and driver side window wouldn't go up. I would offer him $600.00 maybe $700.00 at most the glass alone is worth that much. Good luck.

Regards Rob

88 blue/blue coupe

90 red/tan coupe

90 white/ burgany convert

96 Regal/gray GS

I bought a 90 Cpe with 123K last week for $1100, Runs great, good tires . Needs a headliner. The headlites were sloppy so I bought 2 roller kits and now they work fine. Oh yeah, had to polish the tailite lens. Now I have a nice looking

(shiny) car that needs a headliner, (and that is all it needs.)

Charlie.B smile.gif

Think the bottom line is that both the economy and the car market in general is very soft right now. Those with money generally have enough cars unless something exceptional comes along. Those without are without.

Add in the fact that a Reatta is not a car for someone who just wants to shine and drive, it is much too complicated for that.

Finally with examples out there for under $1000 from people who became tired, few are willing to pay even $1500 for one with problems.

Botom line: this is just the start of what could be a long economic winter unless something happens to jump-start the economy. Look for something akin to the CCC to come out of the beltway. The good news is that wars do not last long enough any more to be an easy out.

from Hoot. i have a high miles 89 coupe (219,000) for sale that looks, runs, and drives fine for $1500.00 in Gettysburg, Pa. people arent exactly breaking their legs to buy it, but it is for sale and can be driven away for the same price as the one with the blown engine. just my opinion, but any Reatta with a decent body and glass is worth that for parts if nothing else.

Original Classified Posting:

Price: $ 1,500 (Best Offer) Year: 1988 Miles: 140,000 (Highway/City) Color: Red

Needs a new engine, otherwise very good condition with regular maintenance, newly rebuilt transmission, new front and rear brakes, newer AC, tan leather, glossy paint etc

Q: Is the engine totally blown? Will it turn over? I live in Moline

,Il. (Quad Cities) and be nice if it could be driven back.

A: My son has had this car for almost two years. The car was driven a week ago or so for the last time .Actually it was our mechanic ? he had fixed a small suspension problem

And was having a test drive when the the engine blew.

Q: What was your mechanic working on when the engine blew up? Was there

Any sign of engine problems prior? Did it catch fire or?

A: The mechanic had fixed and replaced the strut bar, had a test ride afterwards when the engine blew up. There was no fire, simply the engine stopped cranking. He had to tow the car back to the garage.

There might have been some symptoms of a potential engine problem prior

This repair, but it did not appear serious, so I decided to fix (and pay) for the suspension repair.

smile.gif

Sounds to me it might be worth while for somone in Ill to check it out, might just be an electrical problem but then could be $$$$.

Think most of the people here have learned enough to be leery of a $1500 car unless they want a parts car and in that case is somewhat expensive.

Personally have passed up a few simply because my wife has said that six is enough and all we have garage space for. Considered disposing of my Fiero to make room for a convertible but then drove to Daytona and was reminded how much fun it is to drive. Sunroof opening also seems much bigger than Reatta (realy need to find a way to lower seats, cannot concieve of even a "height impaired" person being able to drive full up.

Thanks for all the input.I'm going to have to put this to rest and make up my mind if I want to sell my 83 Yamaha Venture Royale w/30k to buy this 88 to work on.Wife has put a limit on my garageable toys.

• 1 month later...

Best way is with a trailer because reverse is not difficult. I would probably get a tow dolly from U-haul, could flat tow but you get into a number of issues that a dolly avoids.

One or two day rental returning to the same place shouldn't be very expensive, one-way is where charges mount. Problem is moving a car with a blown engine, would pack a come-along also. Plan where & how it will be dropped before leaving.