Blue devil Transmission sealer

Sergio Santos

Hi Sergio,

I am not familiar with Blue Devil brand but I know Lucas makes some good transmission products. If a rebuild is not in the budget it certainly won't hurt to give it a try. I have used transmission additives when I've bought a car that has been sitting for a couple of years. They will usually do what they are intended to do, soften up dry or hardened seals. The turbo 400 in my truck was a little slow going into reverse but otherwise worked fine. It was parked for two years before I bought it. I used the Lucas brand additive and it softened up the rear piston seal after a few days. Shifts fine now. Some of these additives will stop leaks by softening up dry gaskets. It just depends on how severe your leak is. I say give it a try before you go to the huge expense of an overhaul. You just may get lucky.

Greg

There is no magic additive that "fixes" seals. All any of these transmission stop-leak additives do is soften and swell the existing seals. This will stem the tide for a while, but the fact that the seal is now softer than original means that it wears out that much faster. An additive may be an expedient (if unscrupulous) "fix" for a car you are about to flip, but certainly not something I'd use in a car I cared about.