1933 Studebaker Rockne UR-2 Carburetor

My UR-2 carburetor has a fitting and a piece of copper tubing attached to the bottom of the carb., after the engine is shut off fuel drips from it.

i don't think that is normal, I assume it to be some kind of vent.  Is the float allowing the carb to overfill,  I'm afraid of a possible fire. The carburetor was recently rebuilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normal.......in a small amount. It's an updraft carb, and any fuel in the manifold will drop down when the engine shuts off. If it is a large amount, then it could be a few other things. Post a photo, or PM me and I will give you my phone number to call.........I have served countless U series Strombergs. 

• Haha 1

Perfectly normal for any updraft carburetor.

Some of the makes even had a "drip tube" that ran from the carburetor away from the engine, and shunted the leaked fuel out onto the ground often behind the front wheel.

There is one easy fix..............................don't put gasoline in the fuel tank, eventually, the leak will stop (along with the engine)  ;)

On a good note, the Stromberg type UR is one of the very best of the smaller updraft carburetors that has even been produced.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Tim,

There should be a pan between the frame and the engine that has a hole in it just under the carb. That hole lets the excess gas go to the ground, rather than fumes under the bonnet.

Thank you, I'll run the engine, get it hot then shut it off and put a measuring cup under the tube to catch and measure the amount of fuel that drips out. When I cleaned up the garage floor, the wet spot was probably about 15" in diameter. Do you need a picture of the carburetor dripping.

image.jpeg

31 minutes ago, starlightcoupe said:

Tim,

There should be a pan between the frame and the engine that has a hole in it just under the carb. That hole lets the excess gas go to the ground, rather than fumes under the bonnet.

Brad I have had the carburetor's (I have 2) on and off the manifold probably 20 times so far. To finally get the car to idle and run properly I combined parts from both Carburetors. I just don't remember it dripping that much fuel when I first got the car running. My tube does extend through the hole in the metal shield. I had one carb rebuilt locally and the other by Dave Thibeault. 

A 15 inch circle isn't a lot of gas. You may be suffering from hot soak, and the fuel is expanding and pushing up and out. If you have an electric fuel pump, that can also add to the problem.