Importing car parts - required to submit form HS-7 from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, part of DOT

Gary_Ash

I recently ordered two new Rudge-Whitworth style wire wheels, 72 mm size centers with 18" x 4" drop center rims, from MWS Wire Wheel in England, where I had previously bought four wheels.  Before they could ship the two new ones, I was required to submit form HS-7 from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, part of DOT.  This is a long, wordy 8.5"x14" form which might apply if you are trying to import an exotic car from outside the U.S. or a container load of tires from Korea, but didn't seem appropriate for a person buying a few parts for personal use.   I didn't have to use this form when I bought the other wheels a few years back.  Here's a link to the form:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/hs7_r.v.7.pdf

I eventually checked box 2A, signed my name, and emailed it back to the UK vendor.  Apparently, that was OK with them, and the wheels are on their way by FedEx.  That is, after MasterCard first declined the charge because it was from overseas and they didn't think I was there - that got fixed quickly.  I expect a demand from U.S. Customs for duties, but have my fingers crossed that the wheels will arrive here in a week or two.  The photo below is of one of the original four wheels. 

Box 2A:  The vehicle or equipment item conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
(or the vehicle does not conform solely because readily attachable equipment items that will be
attached to it before it is offered for sale to the first purchaser for purposes other than resale are not
attached), and Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards, and bears a certification label or tag to that
effect permanently affixed by the original manufacturer to the vehicle or affixed by the manufacturer
to the equipment item or to its delivery container in accordance with applicable National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations [591.5(b)]; 

Has anyone else had to deal with form HS-7 on imported parts or cars?  I don't think any company in the U.S. could build these wheels, as the parts for them come from India and they are not a common size or lacing configuration.  Here is the Wheels India web site page for wire wheels:  https://www.wheelsindia.com/wire-wheel.html.  They bought the Rudge tooling from Dunlop many years ago.  The quality is excellent.

wheel3_051214.thumb.jpg.59eddeaed9ca51018005551385780da6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am running into the same issue right now, importing Mercedes Cromodora rims from UK to US. FedEx wants a HS-7 form. Did you have to pay an additional duty fee? I read somewhere it is 2.5% for auto parts.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Importing car parts - required to submit form HS-7 from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, part of DOT

i have sold a few used items to the US and several cars from Canada......and buyer had me state "antique car part" ......and was never an issue,new reproduction would be a problem .....unless that has  changed now,i also remember noticing on some classic cars [1960s] for example a Canadian car the same as US car lets say a mustang,and noticed tail light lense did not have DOT stamped,I know some parts for antique cars coming to Canada require the US DOT in order to be used here also for example hot rod suspension parts.I only mention this as DOT is American and obviously some other countries do not have the parts DOT approved.

I regularly buy parts from the UK (Rimmer Brothers) Triumph and MG parts, 5 to 6 times a year. The orders vary in value from about $50.00 to $500.00 and I have never had to fill out any kind of form or pay any duty. Maybe Rimmer’s is doing something at their end to bypass the form.