Buick wood spoke wheel specs wanted

Jembot

I have a single buick wood spoke wheel i had gotten from my father.. Is it potentially a usable item ? 

Markings on tire include

6 50 18

US Royal De Luxe 

United Stated Rubber Company 

any info is appreciated. What years produced ? Value ? 

thank you , Rose 

20200407_190744~2.jpg

20200407_190836~3.jpg

20200407_190949~3.jpg

20200407_190955~2.jpg

The wheel looks quite weathered. Main value is probably decorative.  If the rim is good then it probably has the most value, however rims left with tires on them for decades are usually quite rusty and of little value. Only 4 rim  bolts so one of the smaller Buicks.

Even the cars themselves are at the lower end of vintage Buick values. A really good rim is probably in the $100.00 range, but this one is unlikely to be very good when it is inspected by a buyer. You have to take the rim off the wheel, remove the tire to inspect

where they usually rust. The tire tends to hold in water and rust the inside of the rim to the point where it is unwise to use on a car.

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several items are wrong for this to be a Buick wheel.

Buick wheels were usually 12 spoke and this one has 10.

Buick should have 6 bolts attaching the rim, this one has 4.

The final year that Buick did not have brakes and drums on front wheels was 1923, with wheel diameter 23" or  24". This one is 18", which puts it around 1933

It might be a 1923 or earlier Buick hub mounted to a later wood wheel from another make of car. 

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
error (see edit history)

Good catch Oregon. I overlooked the lack of a drum and assumed the 4 bolt indicated one the small 4 cyl models but you are quite correct they were all gone by the 18" wheel era..

I can't think of any 18 " wheel cars that would not have front brakes so  perhaps someone removed the drum years ago.

Buicks small companion, the Marquette used an 18" rim and 4 clamp bolts in 1930. And those definitely look like Jaxon style rim clamps as used by Buick

and other GM makes in the later 1920's / early 30's. Perhaps someone lost their Marquette cap and substituted a Buick cap. I expect the thread size is the same, small series Buick at least.

Greg

The hub is for a 12 spoke wheel. It has been adapted to these wheels. Notice the hub bolt pattern does not match the spoke number.  Probably when the drum was removed and discarded. Homemade utility trailer ?

Greg

• Like 1