Need someone to measure a wire on a Gen 1

BulldogDriver

While the engine is out of my ‘63  I’m cleaning up some things that had been done previously. One of them is the wires to the alternator. They had been cut and not a very good install job. They were also  tight to the alternator and I forgot to measure before pulling the engine. I want to replace  these wires and need someone to measure the wire length from the alternator to a known location on the inner fender. The wire clamp in my picture would work or something else as long as it is a factory reference.

Thanks, Ray 

07E1EA2D-F3E2-4037-BDF3-27858FAD1E15.jpeg

Ray, specifically I measured 28” from the clip referenced to the longest yellow ang green wire.

The red wire with a ring that connects to a post on the alternator is 19”.

These measurements are closer than the original measurement I sent of 30” from the front of the grill on passenger side to the end of the harness.

Bob

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ray, for the 10 AWG red charge wire, I believe it was 12 ft. from post-to-post (horn relay to alternator). This was when I replaced it running an improved 8 AWG along the outside of the harness.

Although I used standard GPT wire elsewhere on my '63, I searched for the better SXL (125 deg. C) wire for my underhood application. It was impossible having to choose to between a 100' roll for 12' or by-the-foot online and pay $60 to get it to my door! Easier to find marine wire (105 deg. C) from a boat place.

I found any GPT wire with printing on it be a better wire. I ended up with 8 AWG 105 deg. C that was oil/heat/sun resistant for $12. Some day, I plan to rebuild a new harness as many boil-overs in my Rivs history has the wiring hard and brittle.

Auto wire places are only interested in selling wire harnesses, not wire. Wirebarn is the only place where you can but by-the-foot. A good explanation here:

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Selection-Guide-_ep_29.html

Oh, while your engine is out, highly recommend changing your Heater Core!