1970 buick le Sabre convertible gas tank

joe aqua

Hi drivers, 

Thank you in advance for any help. I have owned this car for 35 years, it has almost 300k miles from every state on the east coast. She is getting a minor makeover, and I would appreciate any help tracking down these parts.  The tank is the part that is most troubling.  New is preferred, no company makes a buick tank for this year make and model.  are there any 

GM "B" Body, cross references that would work

I am looking for a fuel tank for a 1970 le Sabre

Also a reasonable priced conversion kit for front brakes to disk using stock spindles, booster, and stock master cylinder.

Rear body mounted hangers and bushings.  Bushings are everywhere, not the body mounted hangers.

Thanks again, my email is jhage402@gmail.com.

Joe,

The hollander interchange shows only 1970 Buick LeSabre and Wildcat  fuel tank will interchange,  BUT does your car have evaporative emission control (EEC) ? That will make a difference. What area are you from? I could look local with my location.

Bob 

NailheadBob, thank you for your timely response.  The car, and I, reside in Connecticut, it is an east coast car, with no EEC. It has a canister style sending/level sensor unit in the tank. Would another gm b body tank work, Chevy caprice, or the like? Thank you for your attention to this.

Joe, I think the major difference is the filler neck. IT might be that some tanks are the same in terms of measurements and capacity but the location of the filler may be different.  Since the Hollender exchange shows none to be interchanged you may want to check your manual for dimensions and then see if you can find online references to the dimensions of others.  Then you would have to see if the filler neck on yours could be removed and installed into the other tank.  

Thank you for your response, unfortunately it is not just the filler neck, it also seems to have a proprietary fuel level sending unit. The depth of the tank where the sending unit is mounted is also critical. I was hoping for some old codger working in a service department somewhere in America that I could mine for his personal experience in swapping out for something similar. I am going to have to do it as you suggested and measure dimensions on other tanks to see if I could make them work. Repair of this one is too sketchy, otherwise I would do that. 

Joe,

The hollander manual ONLY show's Buick that is interchangeable as I listed , try contacting Bob's Automobilia in California, as he advertises in the Buick Bugle, custom made fuel tanks, I will continue to look in my area and update you if I locate one. Do you or did you, with owning the car 35 years,  belong to the Buick Club of America? 

Bob

2 hours ago, joe aqua said:

Thank you for your response, unfortunately it is not just the filler neck, it also seems to have a proprietary fuel level sending unit. The depth of the tank where the sending unit is mounted is also critical. I was hoping for some old codger working in a service department somewhere in America that I could mine for his personal experience in swapping out for something similar. I am going to have to do it as you suggested and measure dimensions on other tanks to see if I could make them work. Repair of this one is too sketchy, otherwise I would do that. 

I would also suggest having it looked at by a gas-tank-renu shop.  I had my '56's tank done by one back in 2003.  It is expensive but they do a great job with dents and can fix most rust.  Also, my 72 has a similar canister sending unit.  I don't know if these are the same part number but the over the counter sending units do work just as well. 

Thank you, I am waiting for a response in regards to a tank from OK. No luck on a sending unit.  I am currently trying to cross check for a "stock" sensor gm unit that may fit.  The resistance for the unit is 0-92 ohms, hopefully I can find something to fill the hole, send fuel, and display a general level of fuel.

Thanks again for all of your help.