1991 Chrysler TC Maserati

Hi everyone, I had a poor experience with Aamco. They tried to charge me $410. For diagnostic.  Then could not provide CVI DATA. Finally,  they admitted that the "Scanner" was not working. They claimed to have replaced the input and output speed sensor. But at this point I'm not sure I believe them.

So, I disconnected the battery and drained the vehicle electronics overnight. To reset vehicle computers.  Drove fine for about 10 minutes,  then threw limp mode again. Not really sure I can afford a transmission rebuild. The vehicle is in good condition otherwise. Might just put it for sale,  unless anyone has any more thoughts on the fix.

Included pics of tc, and work order. The only damage is front passenger side, someone backed into it in parking lot. 

Was registered with TC America #0242 

Please advise. 

20200315_122455.jpg

20200315_121756.jpg

20200302_213145.jpg

Edited by Will M G C
Remove personal information (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Will M G C said:

Hi everyone, I had a poor experience with Aamco. They tried to charge me $410. For diagnostic.  Then could not provide CVI DATA. Finally,  they admitted that the "Scanner" was not working. They claimed to have replaced the input and output speed sensor. But at this point I'm not sure I believe them.

So, I disconnected the battery and drained the vehicle electronics overnight. To reset vehicle computers.  Drove fine for about 10 minutes,  then threw limp mode again. Not really sure I can afford a transmission rebuild. The vehicle is in good condition otherwise. Might just put it for sale,  unless anyone has any more thoughts on the fix.

Included pics of tc, and work order. The only damage is front passenger side, someone backed into it in parking lot. 

Was registered with TC America #0242 

Please advise. 

Well, I have to ask you how they could charge you for 6 FLUID, when they apparently did not remove the trans oil pan which on the repair order indicates (DECLINED SERVICE)

They indicate some sort of ground short in the electrical system which tells me nothing. You wrote, "they tried to charge me". Does that mean you did not pay that amount?

There is a strong possibility that there is an internal hydraulic problem in the transaxle.

Like so many, you live so far from me that I can't just drive up and check it with my Snap-On 2500 scanner. It would 'possibly' be an idea if you could find a local mechanic with a Snap-On 2500 scan tool who would check the CVI numbers with his scanner.  

As for the 2 sensors, take a couple of photographs of the transaxle from under the hood, or below if you can find access, use flash as needed or a light shining on the transaxle.

Let us see how new the sensors look, it should be obvious to see if the sensors have been changed.

The sensors do look new. They did reseal the pan with silicone as I requested. As for the engine fan, I tested it with straight voltage,  operated, so I thought it might be a bad fan relay. They tested and determined a ground failure,  sensors tested fine. As for the original $430.00, once they realized that I new enough about cars, they backed off the we just know from experience that it needs a rebuild and CVI won't tell us anything, line. The work order reflects the amount I agreed to, and work done,  but at this point,  it was a loss of trust. Attached is their original work order. I declined the "$1400.00 rebuild. 20200309_092252.thumb.jpg.caacce4e5ed585092f5c1847f8935eb9.jpg

20200315_145249.jpg

One of the problems with the 41TE/604 transaxle is that the early, and ALL TCs with this trans had very early built transaxles which had zillion of minor faults that were corrected over the years. a CVI would tell you and them right away if there is any significant leakage within any particular clutch assembly. From here I cannot advise much further except to say that experience has shown that the simplest & best way to repair an early 604 was to find another low mileage FWD Chrysler vehicle such as the PT Cruiser, one that had been in an accident that might in some way broken the transaxle case. Then purchase that transaxle CHEAP and use all the inside components in the TCs transaxle CASE. In that way you would end up with all the upgraded components that would otherwise have to be purchased new or in a package for considerably more $.

In your case, only if you can find such a person who was capable and willing to do your transaxle, can you get away cheaper. Though the $1,400 rebuild sounds reasonable to me. 

It use to run a lot more at Aamco back when these cars were new. 

As for your headlamp, I do have some used headlamps if you choose to repair this car.

• Like 1

Maybe I'll find a different mechanic and see what happens. Its seem the CVI data is necessary for an accurate assessment. 

Appreciate you time and expertise Hemi D. I'll continue to update as information and solutions come in.  If I can find a way to fix her up, within my budget,  I'll definitely need the replacement parts.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Will M G C said:

Maybe I'll find a different mechanic and see what happens. Its seem the CVI data is necessary for an accurate assessment. 

Clutch Volume Index (CVI) is a calculated numerical value to indicate how much volume of transmission fluid was needed to apply a friction element (clutch) without stroking the accumulator piston. The L/R, 2/4 and OD clutch elements are continuously monitored and learned for adaptive controls. As the friction material wears, the volume of fluid needed to apply the element increases. The following numerical values are Chrysler’s suggested acceptable tolerances for A-604 clutch volumes are:

L/R: 35 to 83                                            2/4: 20 to 77
OD: 75 to 150                                          UD: 24 to 70

Early models would lose their learned values if the battery had been disconnected or the TCM was unplugged. In such cases, the EATX Controller will go to a default setting until the new CVI values are learned. The default settings used are:

L/R: 64                                                     2/4: 48
OD: 89                                                     UD: 45

• Like 1

Hemi once again has provided great advice. These early A604s were terrible transmission-most were replaced under warranty. My 47K 91 still has the original unit and I can't expect it to last more than 70K. Being technically knowledgeable-I'd tear it down and rebuild it my self as it's a pretty simple transaxle. I had a few rebuilt in the past in other Chrysler products, they usually run $1400-$1800 with all updated parts. Another option would be to convert it to the older A670 3-speed auto used in lower trim minivans and passenger cars with the 3.0. It will require some re-wiring but it's a far more robust transmission than the A604 in my opinion. 

• Like 1