No liscense plate bracket

mad.gif 1988 Buick Reatta. I was driving my car on the road and received a ticket for no front liscense plate. This car was not made with a front plate bracket. Now am forced to drill holes and ruin the original condition of my car by putting a liscense plate bracket on the front.

Nothing says the plate must be in the middle that I know of (might ask about your state). To avoid drilling just remove the passenger side fog lamp and fabricate a bracket through the hole.

Does anyone know of a way to fill in the holes if already there ?

I have an 88 too. Since I didn't buy mine new, I can't say for sure that my front plate bracket is factory, but it sure looks that way to me. Way too elaborate for a Kmart quick fix.

I think all cars have a factory front plate bracket, that may be mounted based on destination, or possibly added on by the dealer. Front plates are the law here in Illinois. But, I've never had one on my Capri and never been stopped for a front plate violation, so you could always take your chances.

That is, if you don't live in a small town. If you do, I'd probably put the plate on.

John

Guest wally888

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, all Models had a front bracket. Think they were in the trunk, uninstalled, some put on by dealership.

I purchased a used 89, no bracket however later the seller sent me a new one that had been in the trunk, uninstalled.

They mount, 2 screws, into the bumper trim, no nuts. If the car ever had one there will be 2 holes there, hard to see.

There are 2 tubular supports holding the bottom , they mount to the grille.

I believe Wally is correct. The Reatta came with the bracket in the trunk and if the state required front plates, the dealer installed the bracket. What happened to all the uninstalled brackets?

Take note of new Corvettes, they have a front filler piece that stays in place if you do not have a front licence, and it is removed if you do.....someday Corvette people will be looking for those filler pieces.