Brake Drums for a 726

Scott726

Hello All,

I've got a beautiful 726 Packard with grooved brake drums.  I've looked everywhere trying to find a solution to get this majestic old beast back on the road and I'm at my wit's end.  I've researched build up by flame spray, getting new drums manufactured (Yikes!) and even thought about weld build up on the ID of the drum which I'm pretty certain would irreparably warp them.  I'm reaching out to all of you to see what you have done. 

These drums are 16" ID and made out of 3/16" stamped steel which was (hot?) riveted onto a forged or cast hub. 

I'd appreciate hearing any of your thoughts!

Scott

How deep are the groves ?  If they are not too deep, you could machine them out. To machine the rear drums you need a jig to hold them by the bolt holes and a shaft with a taper which fit into the hub so the setup can be accurately centred. I can help you with a drawing of the jig. With the front drums it is best to clock them out using the tapered roller bearings and a "dummy" shaft.

Let me see if I can point you in the right direction. Forgive me, I don't know how to directly link you to where you need to go. So for the time being Enter the word     Saxton    in the search box above. Somehow I find the  'box works the best if you just enter one fairly unusual key word. For example : brakes will not give you a narrow enough filter for an efficient search. Ivan Saxton is one of the greatest old lions of the hobby. A wizard. I remember he has dealt with this subject. O.K. Now scroll down to one of his "brands", a big capital I in a red box. Something about a J Duesenberg pops up fairly soon. Click on that red box with the I in it. Up comes his profile. At this point, to the far right of the red box with the I in it, is a rectangular box which says : See my activity. Click on that. On the second page, up at the top, you will see a topic covering your question. Apparently Ivan has covered this in even more detail on an earlier post. Have fun looking for the earlier info if you are enjoying Ivan's wit and knowledge ! 

After studying up, you will owe us pictures of your old Packard. I'll tell you how to see some pictures of my old Cadillacs. Click on my "brand", or whatever it is called, avatar.? Anyway, bring up my profile, and click on each of the 2 pictures you see. If you are not bored, go back to the search box and enter     'Vegas. By and by you will find pictures you may like. Oh yeah  : Welcome to the wonderful world of AACA forums, Scott !! I hope we have the pleasure of getting to know you and your car(s).     -    Cadillac Carl 

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

C Carl,

Thanks for the shove in the right direction.  It appears that Mr. Saxton is a proponent of metal spray build up.  It's been my leading option but I wasn't willing to risk an irreplaceable set of drums without something else to go on.  

Here's a picture of the car!

Thanks Again,

Scott

IMG_0051.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Scott,  did you ever solve your drum problem?

I ask because I have two old drums that I have no idea what they belong to.

Do you have a pic of yours?

Have not seen them in several months, but I recall they have 7 holes.