Antique Plate

1936 Viper

Forum:

What would be the advantage, if any, to having an antique plate in Massachusetts.  I have a perfect 1936 MA plate that came with my D2 when I bought it.  I have read over the application paperwork several times and inquired to my insurance carrier.  The written rules for the antique plate seem quite restrictive to club events, maintenance runs, not for transporting people or goods, etc.  However the rules may not be strictly enforced.  Maybe there is some relief on inspection?  I will reach out to local club "Spindles Car Club" and see if anyone there has any input.  I love the plate but I currently have regular plates on with no restrictions.  However I am still struggling with vacuum wipers for MA inspection.  Haven't been stopped for no sticker.

Any thoughts?

"Year of manufacture" plate users in Mass. are charged 50 bucks PER YEAR instead of every two years for regular plates. Still need the inspection sticker for safety only, no emission testing. With Y.O.M. plates, you do not need to paste the inspection sticker on windshield but must carry it in vehicle with your registration. To be eligible for antique Mass plates or YOM plates, car needs to be 25 years or older and follow RMV rules for the restricted usage of the antique vehicle. Note; One rule is for driving said vehicle for testing purposes, maybe a new fuel pump or any rebuilt part. I wouldn't be too nervous about that . Just don't commute to work everyday with it. Your insurance costs are greatly reduced with Mass antique, or YOM plates, also only one rear plate is necessary.

• Like 1

In TX I put on original plates on all my cars for I like the correct look. We don't hit with a liberal tax on the plates every year. TX is very easy in that I can register the original plate in a couple of ways. You can go regular or antique.  I chose antique auto. That has limited use restrictions like you mention.  My insurance also says what the use can be. Not a daily, etc.. as you state but being every day i drive past service shops, auto parts stores, etc..  I am always within the "rules" they set.   I also get a huge break because I have "must be stored inside at all times" insurance (duh)  Have 7 cars on the policy and being i am the only driver, I can't drive but one at a time so it is dirt cheap.  I basically pay for one car at full at price and the rest at near nothing.  American Collectors Insurance.  And I get towing and even some parts but have my AAA premier as well.

• Like 2