Supercharger, ignition coil, injectors and harness.

Danteval1

Hello, 

Back story: Recently, I have been trying to investigate may 1989 reatta poor MPG. I don't know if it is a false reading or another issue. Today, I decided to pulled my spark plugs. All my spark plugs are AC Delco, but different. My fuel injectors are all different too. The harness is filled with electrical tape. I unwrapped the electrical tape on one of the wires and found "repaired" wires tied in a knot, no solder, and that is the case with many of the wires in the car.

I live in Orange County California, a haven for rust free cars in junk yards. In my local junk yard, there is a 1995 Buick Regal with a supercharger. I would like to take the fuel injectors, coils and injector harness. I choose the 1995 supercharged regal because I would like to supercharge mine in the future. Would I be able to swap all of that in my 1989 Reatta? I will attach a photo. I dont really have money for the supercharger, Im about to pay for some college classes, but I can make it happen if I have too. Would it be a good investment to buy it? it sells for about $100? I just dont know how feasible it is to slap a supercharger on my Reatta. However, lets focus on the main question: ignition coil, injectors, and injector harness in my reatta, any issues? 

1265-60632-11295155.jpeg?w=800&mode=crop&quality=70

There’s a good write up on this exact topic on this forum somewhere. I don’t have the link readily available. But short answer is not exactly. The pre series one in the 89 isn’t an exact plug and play with the supercharger from the series one. You could swap that whole engine in and I believe it’s some computer stuff and your good to go. I don’t know about the rest of the stuff but someone else will probably chime in on that. 

We seem to have several threads going on that are interrelated, or have some of the same information included. That is probably the right way to do it for separate topics but I suspect we will lose some good information located in different places? It also sounds like there is a bunch of things that are less than ideal and previous advice ASSumed the basics were in good shape. Alas that isn't the case.

The best way to do it transplants the whole engine, but yes, the top end of the S/C engine can be transplanted. It does require modifications to the existing engine, wiring and fuel and water plumbing to do it. It has been done before and I am debating doing just that or refurbing the donor '95 engine I have. For the time being, the coil pack and ICM will work on your existing engine, and is a useful upgrade. I haven't checked the injector part numbers on the S/C engine I have but they should be higher capacity than your stock ones, by how much I do not know. At the very least, the engine will run rich when in open loop, and possibly also in closed loop if the ECM can't adjust far enough to lean out the mixture. In short, the injectors will be too high a flow rate to work properly on the normally aspirated engine unless the Prom is reprogrammed. The injector harness is routed differently on the later model engines. It might be made to work, but will likely need to be taken out of the covering wire loom and reconfigured. Even if it won't work directly, it certainly might be useful to repair your balled up wiring. Actually, grabbing as much of the engine wiring as possible may give you the materials and connectors needed to repair what you have. None of the wiring we are talking about is sophisticated shielded cabling and can be repaired with proper splicing, sealing and recovering with protective wire loom. 

Only you can judge if it is a wise investment. The $100 price isn't bad, but notice where things like the alternator, power steering pump and reservoir and other things are located in that photo. Some of the parts are specific to the S/C engine or at the least require the brackets on the engine to rearrange the existing, so you need much more than the S/C itself. I suggest you optimize your existing engine first and then decide which way to go after school.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

One other thing: the stock injectors should be Bosch 280 155 901, the part number is on the plastic upper part near the electrical connection. They are a decent injector with a multi hole spray pattern. Spark plugs, I don't know. I generally prefer Autolites but then I change my stuff around, including the engine, regularly.

1 hour ago, Danteval1 said:

Thank you for the information. I will look into taking the coil pack. 

Take everything right down to where it bolts to the cast aluminum support on the engine. The ICM and mounting plate are specific to the Delco setup

• Like 1