Save a Life!

DugsSin

<BR>West bound PA Turnpike, predawn, cruising along with the flow of cars and trucks and looking forward to a Sat. at Hershey. One of the cars way up ahead hits the brakes and makes a quick lane change must be something dead in the road, get to that spot, nothing in road. 30 seconds later "OH SH*T" Model (something) doing maybe 45 in slow lane with someone in rumble seat flashing small flashlight to get attention! If its not already too late please someone save this person from sure death. <BR>Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Doug

It just amazes me how ignorant some people are. Basically, risk takers, knowing they are doing something stupid, but, figure it is just one day and they take the chance.

I don't think they are risk takers. I think they are JUST PLAIN STUPID. It never crosses their minds, if they have one, what they are doing is just plain DUMB. They just blunder on in ignorant bliss.<P>But that's just my opinion. hvs<P>

Dug, At least you were coming in from the relatively flat side of PA. Try coming up on these guys just over the ridge after the Allegheny Moutain tunnel or Sideling Hill! <P>I think it's important to remind ourselves from time to time that fun does not equal safe or sane. We had an incident a few years ago where someone had just (about) finished their Triumph TR4 restoration and couldn't resist taking it out for that first ride ASAP. Took his mom along for a treat. Neither one are with us anymore, seems he was too excited to remember that he hadn't bolted the seats in yet. Why he ran into someone at 35 mph isn't known, but moving brake pedals can be tough to find. And you thought not wearing seat belts was bad in an accident!<P>I think if this person was savvy enough to make it to Hershey and back like this, it's probable that the fact this was profoundly stupid sunk in quickly. I doubt it'll happen again with this car.

I have one of those red flashing lights which clip on your belt which I use when riding my bike with the kids. Hoped it was in the van cause I would have given it to this person. Would have been a lot more effective than the flashlight.<BR>At the end of the show we saw a Model(something) which had a temporary HUGE stop light hooked up to rear bumper, smart person.

Father Ron has been using those lights on his '11 Hudson for years. I always meant to get a couple. Now I will. I guess some good came out of this after all ~ hvs

One ponderous question, the PA Code for (registered) antique driving at night is quite clear. I believe the language reads to the effect that "modern, DOT approved" lighting must be fitted to the vehicle for operation between sundown and sunup. I've been told by numerous sources that this was always interpreted to mean at least 6V sealed beams and at least a single taillight (minimum requirements for trucks at the time of the regulation's implementation). <P><I> How'd this guy get past the toll booth? </I> Were the troopers there asleep? confused.giffrown.gif

The <a href="http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=">California Motor Vehicle Code</a> does not, as far as I can read, restrict vehicles using Year of Manufacture (YOM) tags in any way. The only restrictions are from the insurance company.<P>The code even has a section on the proper adjustment of gas headlamps for legal operation! Nearly everything is specified by "on or after" dates. The only exceptions I can find are for at least one rear red reflector and for two rear view mirrors.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Dave<P>I hate to say it, but the opposite may be true. They may figure that since they got away with it once, they can get away with it again. I hope you're right.<P>I don't know what they did in other parts of the country, but around here they raised the interstate speed limit from 55 to 70 but didn't bother to change the minimum speed which is still 40. Big difference between 40 and 70 and that's making the proposterous assumption that everyone is actually only doing 70. Maybe they need to raise the minimum speed by a comparable amount to prevent these types of occurences.

I am heading out on a three day tour starting Friday morning. There will be some night driving: It is 163 miles to the tour start location so we will be leaving in the early dawn. And on Saturday night the closest lodging we could get to the dinner location was some miles up the highway.<P>These comments have stopped my wavering about strapping my stroboscopic red LED bicycle lamp on the rear bumper of my single tail lamp equipped car. Indecision is over!<P>I will strap that light on for the non-daylight driving. In fact, maybe I will stop by the bicycle store and get a couple more.