1988 Riviera no dash lights

the car i just bought has dash light problems they work few miniutes then off the crt was dead so replaced it that works now till the dash blanks out then only radio works the bcm i replaced from junk yard the ecm new from auto-zone the heat dont work either when dash blanks out the horn doesnt work either if its connected any way the car is clean only payed 400 for it now why now my old truck is not as cummfy but sure easyier to understand eo47 the bcm to ecm communication warning is current at moment can not think of any more details need assistance have found lots here just not ant thing quit like this yet but its a war now and ill get it working if its last thing i do

Sorry, I do not live on-line.

Now that I see all of the symptoms have one question - does everything happen at once ?

If so it sounds like something another member experienced - the BCM thinks the ignition key was turned off. This puts the BCM in "retained accessory power" which means windows and radio still work but other accessories (dash, heater) turn off.

Not home so I do not have access to a FSM but suspect either that line is bad or the input circuit in the BCM is failing under load (works until it heats up a bit, then fails).

One way to check is to wait for it to happen then open the driver's door (hopefuly while stopped). If radio quits, there you are.

LOL, I have similar problems with my 89 Reatta. The computer is a mystery for sure. I have found that turning on the fog lights usually solves the problems I have for a while (several days).

My dash lights do not dim when i turn on my headlikghts; very annoying when driving at night, blinding dash! However if i turn on the fog lights everything dims and the dash light dimmer will ONLY work when the fogs are on. The fogs go off outomatically wwhen you turn off the car so no big problem except when it rains a lot. In heavy rain the fogs appear to flood out and cause the entire dash to go dead. But if you turn them off the dash comes back .. only BRIGHT! I think this crt deal was a little aead on the dependability curve.

When in doubt, try the fogs!!

maark

My '88 did the same thing until I cleaned out the headlamp switch on the dash. After that the dimming works as advertised. Wasn't a computer problem but rather a switch problem, as far as the computers go Reattas seem very reliable.

Personally find keeping the Reatta right to be relaxation from my day job (why coffee breaks are usually spent here).

I think like Padgett said, you have multiple problems there.

To clean the switch, try spraying some [color:\\"red\\"] XXX EDIT (DO NOT USE) contact cleaner XXX> WD-40 into the slot that controls the dash dimming, that fixes dash dimming problems a surprising amount of the time.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting a service manual for your car, as it has a number of systems and service procedures that are very different from a "standard" car. Is is the best money you'll ever spend on your new Riv.

New manuals: www.helminc.com

Used manuals: look on ebay under Reatta (same service manual covers both cars) make sure the manual you purchase is a "Final Edition"

If your car has antilock brakes, Got to www.reatta.net and take the brake tests. This is important as the Teves antilock braking system GM installed in our cars is prone to sudden, complete failure at the most inopportune times. frown.gif

I too took the dash light switch apart to clean it several times. It worked fine outside the dash and was relatively clean. When installed the dimmer did not dim automatically when the headlights were turned on nor did the slide dimmer work. I think the circuit board is cracked and the pressure of the wiring pigtail against the back breaks the circuit somewhere. My buick dealers want $150 for the switch. With the fog lamps on everything works fine so i just use the fogs all the time at night. I'll find a new switch or switch board some time down the line.

maark

as usual it is the sm. light sensor in the middle of the dash causing all of your problems. Hard to get to::::easy to replace onece there. Do a search. A lot of information on the [dimming] problem on the site.......bet--ya....ken

and leave the dimmer slide alone,,,,it is not the cause unless someone ruined it by spraying contact cleaner or taking the switch apart and breaking the light board..........CONTACT CLEANER CAN MELT THE PLASTIC AND THEN THE SWITCH WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED............THE CONTACTS FOR THE DIMMER BOARD ARE SPRING LOADED AND CAUSE NO PROBLEMS

READ ----PANEL LIGHTS NOW ON PAGE #26 ALSO THIS......CONTACT CLEANER CAN KILL

The one from my '89 I have not had open. But based on the advice I received in this thread, I doused it in contact cleaner to solve the dash lights/display problem (both switches have this problem ???). Now the display switch sticks so hard I can hardly get it to click into the dome light (max) position. I am tempted to crack this one open too and grease it up like you advised. I haven't put it back into the car yet to see if it still works and/or the dash lights/display problem has been fixed. My only apprehension is that the little pronged connector sometimes gets bent over and won't go in the slot. Perhaps I can lay it on its back and drop a little machine oil in the Display slot.

EDBSO; if you take a Reatta or Riveria headlight switch apart and look at the two boards that the spring loaded contacts ride on you will see that contact cleaner is not necessary as there is nothing to clean. The contact patch is very sm. and still does not make a mark in the board. It must be the placebo effect...........ken

the problem seemed to go away after replacing the power module thats above the brake pedal have few extra parts now but that wont hurt a thing just has a few little things to do but most of them are anwsered on here some where thanks guys