1936 Pontiac rear bumper brackets

aristech

Are you missing the whole glovebox lock? Lack of key might not be a big deal. There should be a number stamped in the lock cylinder. Have you by any chance joined Early Times Chapter yet? Last I heard the club president was dabbling in original type keys. He and his wife have a 1937 8.

The glovebox lock cylinder itself is used in a bunch of GM cars. The knob is some sort of brown woodgrain or brown plastic on all Deluxe 8 and Deluxe 6. Master 6 had a black bakelite knob. The idea here is that it matches the window cranks and dash knobs. There are chrome glovebox knobs from other GM makes that will fit and function, just look wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the bumper brackets. They are rusty and pitted and will need rechroming.  I would like $20.00 for them.  I also have rear bumper brackets.  $40.00 for the pair.  If you are interested  please call 715-882-8443 or email kjmytas@yahoo.com.  Thanks!!  Jan

On 12/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Bloo said:

Are you missing the whole glovebox lock? Lack of key might not be a big deal. There should be a number stamped in the lock cylinder. Have you by any chance joined Early Times Chapter yet? Last I heard the club president was dabbling in original type keys. He and his wife have a 1937 8.

The glovebox lock cylinder itself is used in a bunch of GM cars. The knob is some sort of brown woodgrain or brown plastic on all Deluxe 8 and Deluxe 6. Master 6 had a black bakelite knob. The idea here is that it matches the window cranks and dash knobs. There are chrome glovebox knobs from other GM makes that will fit and function, just look wrong.

I am missing the key pulled it out and just my luck dropped it and the little hook broke .SMH And yes mine has a brown knob on it. I am gonna try and fix mine if its possible and then get a numbers off the cylinder. 

2 hours ago, kjmmm said:

I have the bumper brackets. They are rusty and pitted and will need rechroming.  I would like $20.00 for them.  I also have rear bumper brackets.  $40.00 for the pair.  If you are interested  please call 715-882-8443 or email kjmytas@yahoo.com.  Thanks!!  Jan

All I need is the rear bumper brackets and bumper guards.

Edited by aristech (see edit history)

2 hours ago, kjmmm said:

Can you posted pictures of what you have?

Do you mean the hook that holds the door shut broke? That piece is removable if the knob is unlocked.

If it is unlocked, and the key slot is 90 degrees to the right (flat), then the spring in the back can be worked out, and the hook wiggled around and removed.

It has to turn A SECOND 90 degrees clockwise from there to get the cylinder and it's little retainer out of the button. You need a key, or you need to pick it. I don't think you have to do that to see the code.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Do you mean the hook that holds the door shut broke? That piece is removable if the knob is unlocked.

If it is unlocked, and the key slot is 90 degrees to the right (flat), then the spring in the back can be worked out, and the hook wiggled around and removed.

It has to turn A SECOND 90 degrees clockwise from there to get the cylinder and it's little retainer out of the button. You need a key, or you need to pick it. I don't think you have to do that to see the code.

Ok here is the lock the key is in the upright position. I do not see a number on the lock housing.

IMG_0699.JPEG

IMG_0700.JPEG

IMG_0701.JPEG

Like Bloo said, as long as it is in the unlocked position, you can get the spring and remainder of broken piece out, but need the key to get the cylinder out to see the 4 digit  number. The number is located 90deg to the right of the "push" just behind the stainless steel cap. If its unlocked, remove spring, rotate broken piece toward spring location, then push from bottom of broken piece, it should slide out of the grooves.

• Like 1

That piece can be replaced. You may need to pick it (twice!) to get it apart. I just found my old broken cylinder. You have to have it apart to see the number. The trunk lock originally took the same key. Can you see a number on that maybe?

Pick it once, rotate 90 degrees to unlocked position. Follow pon35cpe's instructions to get the hook out. Pick it again, rotate another 90 degrees (key upside down now) and the cylinder and one more tiny piece will come out.

If the cylinder falls out after turning only to the unlocked position (but not going the extra 90 degrees), it is broken and you will need another one.

As for the hook, I think I have one, but it is buried in storage. If you get your cylinder apart, and it isn't broken, I will dig for the hook.

I you aren't in Early Times Chapter yet, you probably oughta join up. The club president knows quite a bit about this key stuff.....

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1