How to Sort and Maintain a Prewar car

alsancle

Since I am sorting a mid size car for the first time in my life, I guess I will experiment with pressures in the next few weeks. Absolutely a horror story trying to get tires from the only game in town. Let’s just say if I speak my peace it will be a 30 day suspension. Anyway, they can shove it. I sourced tires from across the globe, not my first choice, but less than 40 percent of what the other company wanted. I will post them when they arrive and show them mounted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Based on ride and handling, and tire mfg rating (firestones, new so no condition issues now) I am going to go 32 PSI.  I think it might be good middle ground to start with.

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.  Run them there for awhile then increase in 2 psi increments until you feel performance or ride quality suffers.  I believe my bias-ply Firestones are like yours.  I'm running tubes and I probably wouldn't have gone higher than 36 or 38 psi, but like I said I settled on 34 for the front.  I put less in the rear tires because most of the weight in my car is up front.  Oddly, the shop manual recommended the opposite (lower pressure in front).

• Like 1