1936 Dodge

2 hours ago, 36 Plymouth 40 Dodge said:

That's helpful as always !   But I realize I don't really know what a D3 is !

OK:  D2 is the  'Real Dodge' - the full size Dodge made predominately in the US,  with far lesser numbers being made in Canada.

D4 is the 'Plodge' - American Plymouth - but - badged as a Dodge in Canada (and only in Canada ?  Did Australia do this as well ?)

So what is a D3 exactly ? OK, made for export both in the US and Canada I'm told  -  but what is IT ?  Was it ever sold in Canada ?

With only 1,318 made in Canada (and only 3,073 made in the US) - no wonder I don't know. Not many made.  All exported ? World-wide ?

I was in Instanbul, Turkey years ago, and saw quite a number of late 30's looking Dodge trucks (pickup size) - still on the road.

I went up to one, to give it a close 'look-over' - and the fellow came out thinking I was going to steal it !!

I laughed and laughed !  He was taken aback with my laughing at him,  and when I gave him the 'thumbs up' - he laughed himself !

So was the D3 made to be exported to such countries - so we never saw it here - and so, I don't know what it was ?

Or was it a right-hand drive version ??  Or... ?

Anyway,  I'll stop speculating - so you can actually answer.

PS:  I 'googled' D2, D3, and D4 - and mostly came up with vitamins. "That ain't it"...      

Peter

This may help explain some stuff....

IMG_6794 (3).JPG

• Like 1

Thank You !  Both helpful and interesting!  Perhaps that is the best answer we can even hope for 84 years later. Not a bad answer really.

(What book was that excerpted from ?)

Not trying to be difficult, but if someone asked me to tell them the difference between the D3 and the D4 - I'd

have to say:  "I don't have a clue".  Thanks to Pete in PA and his Nov. 20 post,  I learned that the D3 serial number begins with "93..."

and that the D4 serial numbers begins with "94..." - but otherwise I couldn't tell one from the other.

The book excerpt tells me the D3 was the shorter Plymouth wheelbase, with the 201 Plymouth engine - but this was also true of the

D4 - apparently.  Didn't know this, nor did I know anything about  the panel delivery - but other than these things - I don't know the

difference between D3 and D4.  ( I even wondered if D3 could be 'all the odd ball stuff combined' - like the 'Limo' - 'sedan delivery'  but

then they would not have made that many - and not in Canada - and they sure would not have exported that many.  Odd...)

(I'd say those Canadians were an odd bunch, making both the D3 and D4 - then destroying all their production records - but being one 

myself - why, I'll just leave that one alone...)

Peter

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 36 Plymouth 40 Dodge said:

Thank You !  Both helpful and interesting!  Perhaps that is the best answer we can even hope for 84 years later. Not a bad answer really.

(What book was that excerpted from ?)

Not trying to be difficult, but if someone asked me to tell them the difference between the D3 and the D4 - I'd

have to say:  "I don't have a clue".  Thanks to Pete in PA and his Nov. 20 post,  I learned that the D3 serial number begins with "93..."

and that the D4 serial numbers begins with "94..." - but otherwise I couldn't tell one from the other.

The book excerpt tells me the D3 was the shorter Plymouth wheelbase, with the 201 Plymouth engine - but this was also true of the

D4 - apparently.  Didn't know this, nor did I know anything about  the panel delivery - but other than these things - I don't know the

difference between D3 and D4.  ( I even wondered if D3 could be 'all the odd ball stuff combined' - like the 'Limo' - 'sedan delivery'  but

then they would not have made that many - and not in Canada - and they sure would not have exported that many.  Odd...)

(I'd say those Canadians were an odd bunch, making both the D3 and D4 - then destroying all their production records - but being one 

myself - why, I'll just leave that one alone...)

Peter

This is the book I got that from. Pretty darn good book, although there are some discrepancies at times.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DODGE-STORY-by-Thomas-McPherson-Hardcover-Book-CRESTLINE-publishing/303206924261?epid=1601406&hash=item46988a7fe5:g:XK8AAOSwL8ZdGENJ

The Dodge Story.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)