'89 Reatta runs on starting fluid but not on gas

jayarbee

Replaced bad gas tank and fuel pump. Now have pressure in fuel rail but injectors don"t open while cranking. Engine runs fine on starting fluid, so I know ignition is not the problem. Signal to open injectors comes from ECM. 12 volt power to injector harness connector is confirmed, so what can keep the ECM from sending the injector signal? My 1989 Buick Service Manual, page 6E3-A-3 shows a 15 amp INJ/FUEL PUMP FUSE. I cannot find this fuse but since I have power at the injector harness connector I don't think it matters that I cannot find it. After removing the fuel rail and injectors I was able to verify each injector 'clicks' when energized with 12 volts. Could all six injectors be clogged due to non-use for years? Seems unlikely. How would I verify they spray fuel?

Jayarbee,  After trying to get my car running years ago after it sat for a long time and had mixed old gas and ethanol in it, Mine had the same symptoms as yours.

You will need to get a Noid Test light Kit. This will allow you to see if the ECM is sending signals to the injectors. If not bad ECM.  Mine had this issue. Then I corrected the ECM and still had issues.

I had extremely clogged injectors. I created  I injector cleaning station using a fuel rail and wire harness from a 4 cylinder Saturn I had laying around, Old fuel pump and used a battery to power the injectors, and ran sea foam thru them. Got them cleaned up pretty good. I could not get good spray pattern from all of them. I decided to install Bosche III injectors rated and made to work in the Reatta.

Summary, Get Noid Kit, test ECM, If ECM is good then you have clogged injectors. Make sure you do have good fuel pressure at the rails. 

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

This is what I have done so far: Established fuel pressure to fuel rail (haven't verified psi yet), removed injectors and rail and verified injector function, verified visually that injectors are not energizing while cranking. How do I test the ECM?