1940 Paint Guidance

kgreen

Does a reliable printed source or knowledgable source exist to help me with painting the 40 Buick?  I'm specifically interested in the color and paint locations for the underside and not so readily visual parts of the body.  For example:

• Behind the grill
    • Thinking engine bay color
  • Underside of fenders
    • Probably won't undercoat the car, but assume the parts were released either painted or primed
  • Underside of hood sections
    •  
  • Stone shields located behind the wheels and under the fender
    • chassis black?
  • Inner fender line of demarcation between body color and engine bay color
    •  
  • Top of radiator support
    • engine bay color, ie chassis black
  •  
  • Underside of gas cap door
    •  
  • Underside of stone guard at the rear bumper
    •  
  • Color of primer used on the underside of the car
    • red oxide?
  • Confirm assumption that interior of car and trunk is same primer color as underside of body
    • red oxide?
  • Point of demarcation between primer under car to firewall which is painted body color
    • Guessing that firewall was painted and demarcation was overspray as the color extended only to the visible forward portion of the firewall.
  • Rocker to primer demarcation
    • Have already received advice that overspray from rocker spray extended beneath car only to the extent that rockers were fully painted.
  • Underside of deck lid
    • Suspect body color but not finished by sanding or polishing.  Does the sound insulation then have paint on it?

Hi Ken, 

I haven't been able to find any documentation on this. 

From 1940 production photos this is my observation:

Vertical section of firewall appears to be a different colour from both the chassis and body colour. This extends to the angled section were the pedals are. I can't tell what the colour is. The flat section on top is same as body colour.

Radiator housing same colour as firewall. 

Stoneshield and under fenders appears same as colour body. 

The body floor was sprayed with a sound insulation paint (this is documented but it's not clear to me if they are talking outside or inside the body. I know the outer side of the underseat heaters were sprayed with the sound deadening material. 

Matt

• Thanks 1

Thanks Matt.  I've understood the difference between the firewall and body is that the firewall paint was applied and not buffed whereas the exposed parts of the car were buffed.  Thank you very much for your input.  I've not had access to a car that has not been repainted but the search is on.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, kgreen said:

Thanks Matt.  I've understood the difference between the firewall and body is that the firewall paint was applied and not buffed whereas the exposed parts of the car were buffed.  Thank you very much for your input.  I've not had access to a car that has not been repainted but the search is on.

That makes sense with the firewall and would explain the difference in the B & W photographs. Was the same done to the fenders? They sprayed the whole fender the body colour and then only buffed the outside?