Engine support ring position

John McEwan

I am re fitting the clutch and transmission in my ‘23 this coming weekend. I have read a previous post stating the rear engine support ring should be installed in this order: engine, bell housing, support ring on last otherwise the clutch pack can slide back and forward and make a noise. I previously (30 years ago) fitted the support ring between the engine and bell housing. Looking at an original support ring it looks, by the marks on it, in the middle is correct.

Does anyone have the proper position info?

As I understand it the support ring goes between the engine and the gearbox bellhousing. There are dowel locators on the engine to locate the support ring and hold the engine in position while the gearbox is mounted.

When you posted this topic, made me think.   When mine was taken apart the sequence was engine:support:bellhousing.   However looking in my 1927 Mechanics Instruction Manual, it shows multiple plate clutch models as: engine:bellhousing:support.   It was confusing at best.   I then read the section about how to remove the transmission, and there is a difference between the 114” and 116” wheelbase cars.   The 114” says to drop the transmission by unbolting and pulling rearward.   For the 116 “ is different.   The summary is that it appears the 114” sequence is engine:support:bellhousing while the 116” is engine::bellhousing:support.   This is not totally clear in the manual so my plan is to measure the clutch shaft from pilot bearing seat to end that engages in the transmission and compare to what the sum of distances in the engine and transmission to be sure.   Hope this helps but as woodworkers say “measure twice and cut once”.