Does trunk lid lift automatically?

Tinker

Does anybody know if trunk lid is supposed to lift up by itself when you hit the button? I think the Riviera does and I've seen som other cars that do but I dont know about the Reatta. I have to lift the lid manually with my fingertips under the lip of the lid. Hard to do with cold fingers or with gloves on in the wintertime...

mine would hardly hold the truck up. I found a set at a flee market for a boat hatch. Same size but much stronger. Gee, they really worked well and did open the trunk when using the button. Then I added a spoiler and now have to start the trunk coming up manually. So look at a boat store for stronger ones....ken

Guest Reatta1

my 88 trunk lid opens slightly when you hit the release. Then I have to forcibly pull it up to the open position. If there is some wind blowing on it, it will drop shut pretty easily. Always thought that was strange and wondered if the cylinders were functioning properly. frown.gif

There is a spring with an "arm" next to the trunk release mechanism. This pushes the lid up slightly to disingage it from the latch. On my 88 I had to lift on the trunk lid and turn the key at the same time. The "arm" on the spring was not in the right position so I bent the arm slightly towards the rear of the car and it now works properly.

The cylinders that hold the lid open do wear out over time. If your trunk lid doesn't stay up, they need to be replaced. It is an easy repair and I would recommend changing both of them at the same time.