Need help with car

1 hour ago, Teresa McElvain said:

I live in LaGrande Oregon and I need help with my 1949 dogde cornet my dad when he was alive he helped me . My car quit 1 block away my house it is all original. I need help to find out what is wrong it.

Sounds like you need to find an older, local mechanic.

Usually it’s ignition or fuel related if it just dies.  Might be as simple as a dead battery or fuel pump quit.  Was engine running hot enough to make the radiator overflow?  Does the engine turn over when you try to start it?

Spark and Fuel.   make sure your plugs are firing with a simple device like this. 

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s-g-tool-aid-hands-free-in-line-ignition-spark-tester-sgt23900/22985359-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=22985359-P&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&gclid=CjwKCAjw7O_pBRA3EiwA_lmtfrB9w13pXTVVYEp9ah2-u3Ms9lulvPEIIYNdkw8iDqZsr4SaNJ2HzBoCk14QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If so make sure your getting fuel at the carb.  remove the air cleaner and pump the linkage a couple times to see if you have fuel in the carb. 

If not check for fuel in tank.  Clogged fuel filter?  Spark?   Have to check and and see if fuel pump is working.  Remove coil wire from coil end, disconnect fuel line from carb and stick in a pop bottle.  Turn motor over a few seconds a couple times and see if you have fuel pumping into pop bottle.  If so reconnect fuel line to carb

This is a good start