inexpensive temp gage

Barney Eaton

I posted this on the Buick general discussion where they were talking about transmission fluid and coolers.

This is a nice little 7 segment temp display for less than $8 including shipping...it will read C or F..... it is apparently intended for computer equipment as it has a 4 position jumper cable on the end so it can

be installed in a computer to read various component temps.... the temp range is  -20 F to 230F   

I tested it on my Enclave because I just added an auxiliary transmission cooler and wondered what the actual temp might be...my GMC truck will display the trans tempso I thought it would be nice to know the temp on the Enclave.

I am in the process of adding it permanently but needed to lengthen the probe wire and wanted to make certain it still worked properly after the cable graft.    It was tested by laying the probe on the steel cooler line.

a 1 in piece of tubing was split and I used that to hold it in place on the line and it looks like a decent permanent solution.    Also the ad says it will work from 4V DC to 24V DC  so I tried it on my '39 with a 6V system and it seems to work fine.

Owners of 90-91 Reattas do not get an number readout for coolant temp and this might give you added security knowing an actual temp.  you could also attache the probe to the trans cooler lines or your A/C lines to get a temp for the cool side of the A/C

Link = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fahrenheit-Centigrade-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Gauge-C-F-PC-MOD/271757794116?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

7 segment.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1