Klaxon 12A broken brush holders

When my Klaxon 12A horn arrived, it had some loose parts rattling around inside. One of the bakelite brush holders was broken. These were originally overmolded to the steel crossmember.  I found some angle grinder brush holders and brushes that looked like a close match. To mount these I sanded a flat spot on the holders and clamped them to the bar with hose clamps. I soldered a jumper wire to the holder conductor tab and connected to the field windings with a wire nut. After a little tinkering, the motor ran great.  The most troublesome part of this project was mounting the ratchet to the shaft. It was hardened steel fastened to the end of a steel shaft with a single screw. Every time I  tried testing the horn, it would get out 1 or 2 aahoogas  and that ratchet screw would come loose.  I tried adding lock washers & star washers between ratchet and shaft, and each time it still came loose.  I finally found a  thin washer with some type of coating on it that added enough friction to resist loosening up. We will see how long it holds

Kevin

klaxon 12A -1.jpg

klaxon 12A -2.jpg

angle grinder brush holder.jpg

Klaxon 12A -3.jpg

• Like 3