1955 Glove box door lock stuck

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Help!

The tongue on the lock for the glove box door is stuck in the out position, and the door is shut.

The key will turn the cylinder, and the button will push in. I removed the three screws that hold

the hinges on, to give the door a little play, but I can not get it open.

I took out the clock, to see if I could reach the latch that way, with no avial.

I recently replaced the glove box cardboard, and would prefer not to have to cut it open.

Any suggestions?

Scott Mich

BCA# 6619, OCA #3947

Hi Scott-------My glove box door does this quite frequently. I hit the round part of it with the heel of my hand made into a fist. Presto it opens.

Hi Scott

Hood hinges and glove box door latches are a big pain on 55's. Maybe those door poppers talked about on another post is the answer.....

Anyhow I have 3 of theses beasts and they are all gimpy. First try pushing in on the door while pressing the button. This only works if the latch is still functional. Second try the 'gorilla method': loop a thin cable around the door and use a slide hammer to yank on it...may cause damage, I have used this on parts/junk yard cars. Third take the top of the dash off. I can scan and email or post here if needed.

Willie

Willie,

The tounge is not functional. I don't want to have to take the

dash top off. I've already tried percussive matienance.

I'll try the wire loop. My last option is to cut

the cardbaord.

Scott

Scott

Another idea is to try prying off the chrome bezel around the push button. Its crimped on. You can get it off either with a sharp jack-knife edge or sharpen up the edge of a small flathead screwdriver. Put 1 thin piece of clear tape on the side of the tool that goes up against the engine turned dash insert and get up between the insert and the base of the bezel. Pry carefully, patiently and evenly around the bezel and it will pop off. You can then take out the pushbutton and the lock tumbler. Reach in with a screwdriver, needlenose or wire and see if you can release (pull down) on the triangle latch that the push button activates. You can get the bezel back on by slightly flexing the edge with needlenose pliers and pressing it back on. Putting a drop of super glue on opposite ends of the bezel will ensure it stays in place.

I had the opposite problem - mine kept popping open every time I hit a bump. One day it popped open and the insert and button fell apart on the floor. I slapped it shut (with authority) and then figured out how the latch worked and button worked, adjusted it and put it back together.

Hate to have to see you tear that dash off again - Good luck

Ken,

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like the best solution so far.

If worse comes to worse, I can always find another lock assembly

and re key it if the original one is destroyed. Although it may be cheaper

to replace the glove box insert.

Scott Mich

BCA# 6619, OCA #3947

Seems to me taking the top of the dash off will be the least destructive. Sure, it's time consuming, but I've taken the dash top off my '54, and I've done far worse jobs!

Prying on the front has the potential of destroying or damaging the paint, trim, etc., as does looping a piece of wire through the door gap and around the latch mechanism. How expensive is the glove box liner?! I thought the one for my '54 was less than $30 or something. I can't see wrecking something that's hard to fix or replace over a relatively cheap cardboard glove box.

Just my thoughts,

Good Luck!

-Brad

Hi Scott--

Be very careful if you plan to R&R the top of the dash on your Roadmaster. The paint can easily get scratched as the vertical interior pillar moldings are R&R'd. Two people working together would help. I always use a small sheet of photographic film to protect the paint during a job like this. The film is hard enough to resist the sharp metal corners of those crazy moldings, and thin enough to slip in between the two panels and remain in place. Good luck...

Gary

Hey Scott,

Any luck opening your glove box door?

My Roadmaster glove box door is tricky to open sometimes. The door will not pop open after pressing the release button. It has been like that for the past three decades.

I recently found some souvenirs from the Flint 1978 National Meet, honoring Buick's 75th anniversary, in the glove box of my '55. Looking at these momentos builds my growing excitement for the upcoming 2003 BCA Flint Show!

Gary...........

Well, I have not tried anything just yet, other than going in through the clock hole.

Taking the dash off is a little risky, to scratch everything, and you know no matter how careful you are

you know it will squeak after it is re-assembled.

What bothers me is that the car registration and insurance papers are in there. A few misc. tools, and the usual

spare parts, like ignition parts, spare bulbs, electrical tape, fuses, old maps, etc.

I think cutting the cardboard looks like the best option now.

Scott Mich

Guest Shaffer

When I saw this topic, I thought it was the same one I posted a few months ago, as the glove box door on my grandfathers old 55 Buick Special was stuck as well. Got a lot of replies on how to get it open, but never found the time to do it. He has since gave it to my uncle and I am not sure if he sold it or not.