Antenna Trimmer for 1949 Buick Roadmaster Radio

rkundrata

• 2 weeks later...

Try a slightly larger screw from your parts box.   Another option would be to find a similar one from a “parts radio”.   There may be one available from a web based outfit selling antique radio and electronics parts.  

I don’t recall ever seeing one of these trimmer capacitors on anything other than a car radio. 

Joe

allelectronics.com sells 4 different trimmer capacitors that may work for your Buick radio.  You may have to do some soldering and mounting changes to get one of these to fit.   If you have a schematic or can measure the capacity of the one you have when the plates are as close as possible then one of these may be a close match.

Joe

• Like 1

Hmm, your first posting of this question seems to have disappeared.By trimmer are you talking about the variable capacitor inside the radio? That should never be tightened, just adjusted for best reception like at 1400 KC.

Or are you talking some trim/bezel/garnish that uses scres to hold it on?

Most car radios up into the sixties had an antenna trimmer, usually very close to the aerial jack.  Depending where you lived you "tuned" your aerial to the best reception.

Thank you for the link, I'll check out that website in a moment. 

And yes, it's a variable capacitor, it had 3 wires attached to it all going to separate metal plates separated by thin ceramic sheets. I had the radio set at AM 1440 and the quality was phenomenal considering I haven't replaced anything inside, not even the speaker so it was all original; there was a little bit of static so I attempted to trim the radio and in doing so stripped the brass piece that the screw sat in and then the plastic housing for capacitor broke into pieces when taking it off the radio.

At this point it would be best to obtain a schematic of the radio.  You will likely need two trimmer capacitors to replace your original 3 wire trimmer.   There are various sources for schematics including free downloads and some Howard Sams service folders on eBay.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  

Joe

Do you have a model or part number for the radio?