1935 Buick Series 40 Torque Ball

AussieTim

Hi All,

I am in the process of resealing the gearbox in my Australian 1935 Buick Series 40.

I have a question regarding the torque ball.  

When I disassembled it, the ball and retainer surfaces were somewhat pitted and scored, presumably because the old seal was allowing in water and dirt.  Also the gearbox had no oil in it and so appears to have been running dry for a long time.  

I polished the surfaces with wet and dry paper to try to smooth them out a bit.

I then attempted to set up the torque ball preload with a shim kit purchased online.  Unfortunately, even with no shim between the inner and outer retainer , the torque ball had little resistance to moving.  The kit advised that there should be moderate resistance.

I don't seem to be able to find any replacement parts or information online about what to do if the torque ball is too loose even with no shim.

So I reassembled it with no shim, figuring this is the best preload I am going to get. 

On this final reassembly, I included the neoprene oil seal, as instructed in the kit.

Now the torque ball is so tight that I can't move it even with a 6" pipe inserted in the U-joint shaft.

Questions:

1. Is there anything better I can do regarding the pitted/scored rubbing surfaces ?

2. Is assembling it with no shim the best option to get close to the right amount of preload ?

3. How tight should the torque ball be once assembled with the oil seal in place ?

Thanks so much for your time reading this.  I value any and all feedback.

Kind regards,

Tim

1 hour ago, AussieTim said:

Hi pont35cpe

Thank you for posting that link.  I had missed that one.  The outer retainer is a little differently shaped, however, the ball itself looks the same.  I have gone ahead and purchased it.  Thanks again.

Tim, glad to be of help.. I did the torque ball on my `36 40 series, it was also too tight when I put the neoprene gasket in. I then shimmed it to where it`s snug and I can move it by hand, I did grease it up. I don`t have my car up and running yet to see if it is sealed or leaking.  Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...