Set of (4) Antique Wooden 12 Spoke Desoto Rims 8 bolt 1929 Business Coupe 19"

pickmypick

For sale is a Set of (4) Antique Wooden Spoke Desoto Business Coupe Rims w/ drums 8 bolt 1929 19".  $750   One spoke has a crack as seen in the pictures. These are California wheels and the axle shafts are still greased and appear not to be pitted. They were stored inside.   They otherwise look very solid. I am frequently  traveling Southern Oregon, Western Nevada and Northern California on picking adventures. If you want these delivered it may be an option. Contact number is 707-292-8056

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Those artillery wheels and drums look pretty good.  The split in the one spoke would probably never cause any trouble on the road. Do you have the rims to go with them?

Good luck with your sale.

I am not sure  I have two somethings that where with them and four split rims that were with them but i am not sure they belong together. They seem to be about an inch larger.  I refer to it as a something because I don't know the correct name. Here is what was stacked in the guys shop with the rims. The last picture is the car that was part of the estate so I believe they must have been for it. 

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_6744.PNG

Welcome to AACA, Pick'. A small crack may be tolerable. Rot, however, is another thing. Grab an ice pick and probe around that crack for decay. Then check the end grain where the spokes protrude. Check every spoke. That is generally where Rot will be found, if any. Rot has no strength, and you can't take chances with wheels. Thanks for posting here. I hope you will let us know what other automotive "finds " you encounter.     -     Carl  

You may want to offer this advice to any potential buyer. Or maybe do this yourself. However, some people (including me), would prefer to see the area first, then do the minor repair themselves so that they can know what is being repaired rather than just hope it was done right.  

As long as the wood appears to be good and solid (no rot), that split is not a big deal. Using a small pick, maybe a small razor cleaning brush, and an air hose to blow all the dirt and dust out first. Mix and apply some good epoxy into the cracks, roll around slowly to flow into the various areas. Then use three modern stainless (worm gear) hose clamps of appropriate size  (have these ready and waiting before applying the epoxy). Tighten all three hose clamps over and over again until they will tighten no more. Wipe off the excess that squeezes out. Allow to dry. 

Generally, removing the hose clamp is not too difficult (although you may bend it drastically in the process). Some sanding and paint preparation will be needed.

The reason this is not a serious flaw, is that the outer inch or so of spoke length is the least stressed area of the spoke. Most of the leverage/purchase stress is near the hub end of the spoke.

The two collapsible split rims may or may not fit the wheels. Careful expanding of them may make it easy to determine if they might fit or not. I do not know what DeSoto used for rims at that time. Someone else may be able to answer that.

The four snap rings are for a different type of multi-part split rim. Many trucks, and a few cars, did use that type of two or three part split rims during the '20s and early '30s. The rings may be as valuable alone as the wheels are. Those rings can be dangerous if not handled correctly while mounting onto the rims they are used on. Properly handled, they are fairly safe, and people familiar with them often need better rings than they have.

I actually do need some rings of that type. So I should ask what you would want for them? I am located about an hour North of Sacramento.