car storage

I rent some 10x30 self-store units for my cars and while they're not perfect storage, it keeps them out of the weather, I have 24 hour controlled access and being metal/concrete block construction I don't worry about fire. Check with them and see if they have any 10x20 or 10x30. These will be large enough for almost any car and parts. They can be expensive but rental garage space is in short supply here. The climate is such that most people didn't build them and the older neighborhoods that might have one out back are often somewhere you really wouldn't want to keep your pride and joy. And no, there's not enough room in the back yard to build anything without running afoul of zoning and setbacks mad.gif .

You can try warehouse companies too, but your hours of access are usually limited to daylight and you have to worry about other traffic in and out.

You can try a newspaper ad. When I did that, I got one response from a guy who basically wanted me to make his monthly mortgage loan payment, another from a company trying to rent me a shipping container, and one reasonable offer for renting the basement of a restaurant. Enough space for three cars at a good price, water/electric included, and pretty much constant temperature. It worked good for two years, until the night I got the call that the restaurant was on fire shocked.gif .

I got lucky and got 'em out, but that experience has made me wary of any storage facility where a business is operating in the same building.

When I moved to Cinci last year I needed temporary storage for 2 cars for 3 months. I wound up using garage units at an apatment complex, but I called most of the major storage places in the northern suburbs.

All of them had no problem with storing cars inside their units, though most required that they be licensed and insured. I think that one of them required that the cars also be in drivable condition.

Place a classified ad in your local paper for "Storage wanted for antique car". It worked for me about 8 years ago and I've been renting that garage ever since. We have a small town weekly newspaper that had a Wanted To Rent category and it got me the space I needed.

Guest Skyking

One word of advice when checking garage space, DRY! Especially in concrete block buildings. Make sure they are not damp... In some cases your car will suffer more damage in a damp garage than being kept outside. frown.gif