Fastback Mustang in Vietnam

This will be a long shot I know, but I'm looking for any Mustang photos from 67-69 in South Vietnam.

I just acquired a 1967 T5 Fastback Mustang.  T5 was the name given to Mustangs specifically built for export.  Ford could not use the term Mustang due to Copyright issues on the name in other countries, so they called them T5s.

Anyway, the previous owner told me this card was built special order fo Vietnam and was shipped back a few years later (Gov Contractor).  

I now own the car and it is in survivor condition, unrestored and garage kept and unregistered since 1980.

It was missing the drivetrain but I just put a 302 / 4-speed and got it running / driving.

Kevin Marti (Marti Report) validates the car as a real T5 built specifically for Vietnam and actually shipped there from Ford (Not exported by an individual, but by Ford).

The report states that out of the 5 Mustangs built for export to Vietnam, they all 5 had So Vietnam stamped on the Buck Plate and all 5 were actually shipped to Vietnam, but only one was a Fastback and that is this VIN, so it's a pretty special car to me.

My question for this post is if anyone has seen photos from Vietnam 67-69 with old Mustangs in the background.

Again, long shot I know, but it's worth a shot.

I've only been able to find photos of the 1969 Boss 429 "Lawman" tour which was of a supercharged Boss 429 taken to Vietnam for the troops to see.

They are online.

I'm getting close to finding the original owner but until then, I thought I would check here.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

1967.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting background.

If you come to a dead end, it may help to go this route. RMK-BRJ was a consortium of the largest US construction companies contracted to develop Viet Nam's infrastucture. It is quite likely the owner could have worked for this organization, rather than a paramilitary type contractor who probably would not have had much use for a car in a war zone. You can google this company for more info.

If that is also a dead end, the only other course I can see is to get a Ouija Board and try reaching Robert McNamara. 😄 

Good luck with your search.

Greg

page1-1920px-RMK-BRJ_Emblems.pdf.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, GregLaR said:

Interesting background.

If you come to a dead end, it may help to go this route. RMK-BRJ was a consortium of the largest US construction companies contracted to develop Viet Nam's infrastucture. It is quite likely the owner could have worked for this organization, rather than a paramilitary type contractor who probably would not have had much use for a car in a war zone. You can google this company for more info.

If that is also a dead end, the only other course I can see is to get a Ouija Board and try reaching Robert McNamara. 😄 

Good luck with your search.

Greg

--------------

Good Hunch Greg,  You nailed it.

I had a nice conversation with the 2nd owner who knew the first and actually saw the car several times in Vietnam (Saigon and other places) and ended up buying the car and brought it back.  He had several very interesting stories about the car and might possibly have some very old photos.  He's a great guy and knows Mustangs very well.

Ends up that we (Me and the 2nd owner) are both former US Army Paratroopers.  

This great man served 2 tours as a Paratrooper during the height of the war.  

The original owner was a contractor for RMK-BRJ and was based out of Phan Rang Air Base.  He told me one story about seeing the car roll up to Phu Long Bridge North of Saigon along with the 1st Infantry Division in 1968.  Anyway, a very cool story and a very special car.

Thanks Again

Mike

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

You Gentlemen may both be right, but remember, Ford stamped this car “So. Vietnam” from the factory and their records and documents support that fact.

(Maybe I’m wrong, but) I don’t think T5s shipped to Germany were stamped “Germany”, so this tells me it was a special order for Vietnam from the beginning and the Ford documents I have makes me think Ford exported it to Vietnam, not the owner.

That logic tells me that if it were ordered from a dealer in Deutschland, it would have gone through the normal T5 supply chain and received a normal T5 data plate without a country name stamped into it.

Kevin Marti’s special letter indicates Ford  knows the car and the VIN and Ford stamped it So Vietnam.

I know one thing, it’s fun to drive.

Thanks Guys

Mike

• Like 1