Glove compartment design flaw

jgiotto

I'm not referring to the weak excuse for cup holders, rather the slot at the top of the glove box, which seems to be a spot to store the owner's manual. However, with my manual in the original plastic portfolio, try as I may, I can not shut the glove box door.  The manual is exactly too wide for the depth of the glove box, considering the locking mechanism is at the top, where the slot is located. I certainly don't want to force it closed, so I lay the manual landscape in the glove box, which takes up most of the room available. Can't think of any other reason for this slot. I would appreciate any observations or revelations regarding this topic. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the shelf was a carryover from the '88 model that had more usable space due to it not having push buttons on the left side like an '89 has.  I prefer a manual latch to open the glove box instead of the push button on the console like '88s have so I installed an '89 glovebox in my '88.  I know what you mean about the manual not fitting.  The '88 model manual must have been bigger than the '89 because my '88 manual won't even fit inside my '89 glovebox. I don't really need the user manual because I carry the big Factory Service Manual in the compartment behind the seat.

'88 glovebox

Glovebox (7).jpg

modified '89 glovebox

SAM_3570.JPG

• Like 1