1948 Olds 2-Dr Sedan in Washington, DC fs

Craigslist has quite a decent original 1948 Olds sedan listed. I've been seeing it driving around Capitol Hill for years, though I understand it recently quit running. I haven't inspected it closely but it looks to have  a decent southern body in original paint and the price is in touch with reality. Shame to see it sitting! Here's the link - https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/1948-oldsmobile-club-sedan/6746592760.html

Current owners have had it for about 40 years - very pleasant folks.

Peter Sefton

Edited Tuesday at 02:38 PM by Peter S (see edit history)

Edited by Peter S (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A colleague of mine came to me a few weeks ago to tell me about this same car in his neighborhood.  He is NOT a car guy and was unsure of the maker, but a quick search on CL found it quite easily. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is a fixture on the street like the statues in the circles and squares, and I've eyeballed it many times while walking around the Hill. I didn't know the owners until I recently chatted with them. Apparently the car migrated with them from NC many decades ago. It is a little better looking in person than in their photos and I have the impression it was running until recently, as parking enforcement is brutal on the Hill. I am tempted to buy it myself but right now all my garage space, time,  and funds are going into a 1951 Hudson. I guess I'm fighting off that hoarder thing. 

But maybe it's the car for you! I just hate to see it sitting out there like a dog at the shelter. 

Edited by Peter S (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just saw this car on the street again and am shocked that it hasn't sold. It is a desireable Series 78 Deluxe Club Coupe with a 257 cu Straight 8 that appears eminently restorable. The asking price is already in the neighborhood of "reasonable," and I'd expect the owner to deal at this point. It is also centrally situated in a Mid-Atlantic city, which is a boon to those of us who have to factor in transport costs in the true "cost to own."

See

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/washington-1948-oldsmobile-club-sedan/6810382246.html

Not mine but I wish it was!

Peter Sefton

• Like 2

As of September of '17, the chrome isn't as nice as it is in his ad pics...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/9th+St+NE+%26+Massachusetts+Ave+NE,+Washington,+DC+20002/@38.8909357,-76.993424,3a,75y,184.91h,72.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skiI4x0RrOyQgRyXtlGMFxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b830a81dc157:0xfc319e310dd4f219!8m2!3d38.8912375!4d-76.9937652

I wonder how old those pics are? I can hardly believe the chrome got better looking with age.

The car's been sitting in that spot since at least October of '16. I can't believe it hasn't been impounded yet.

Passenger side chrome is better than driver's side. Definitely not show quality on either. I've been seeing it around Capitol Hill for years but it is very unlikely that it's sat since 2016 without generating a flurry of tickets. More likely that it has returned to approximately the same spot. It looks much like the ad pics.

Peter S.

Edited by Peter S
mispelled "capitol" (see edit history)