Torque tube seal or bushing

gdmn852

I can't make out what you have or don't have according to your last sentence. I'm guessing you're talking 1949 also . . .

1946-1952 Buicks should be similar . . .

Propeller Shaft spline oil seal kit, Group 5.449, Part #1393547 

1-Scan-003.jpg.17d19ed2b78ec1e0680e2305036982cc.jpg

U-joint holds everything in line. 1953s have a different style seal that is located partway into the torque tube.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Ok yes it’s a 49 with Dynaflow I have the new spline seal I must have been thinking of later models like the 53 . It has been taken apart sometime in the past they didn’t know about left hand thread on bolts holding springs as they were replaced with nut and bolts didn’t know if they left something else out.Thanks again ,Gary 

The seal shown above was made to slip over the splines at the end of propeller shaft so it has an interior surface that matches all the splines.    In the 53 models they supplied a metal collar that slipped over the splined part of the propeller shaft.   The seal for this is a simple circular seal that contacts the outer diameter of the collar.   It is driven into the end of the torque tube with pucker toward the front of the car.    I think this type of seal was used for several years after 1953.  

Joe

Hello thank you for your reply after I found the replaced bolts on springs I wondered if something was left out on drive shaft currently trying to indicate it in made up a way to hold carrier to turn and indicate the shaft just a piece of plywood cut to fit around front of carrier .Thanks again , Gary