Bringing a Buick Back From the "Dead"

Guest brh

I located a parts car in texas that was bought at auction. The car was vandalized. It was sold to the buyer with a Demolition Only permit. I think the car has a lot of promise and want to fix it drive it and basically enjoy. Is there anyway I can get a title on this car in Illinois?

Now, I have some suggestions SO I am logging in anonymus for this one.

BE SMART, go to your Dept. Motor Vehicles and see what you need. I would not start saying you are getting this untitled car etc. YOU WILL GET SOME DO GOODER TO MAKE YOU LIFE MISERABLE. JUST FIND OUT THE FACTS WITHOUT MENTIONING YOU HAVE SUCH AND SUCH JUNK CAR. you probably don't need a title if its that old. In which case:

1. get a friend to sign a proper bill of sale, this elminates the gargbage you will have to through if you so much as mention SALVAGE AND ELIMINATES THE BILL FORM THE Texas guy.

2. when you fill out the paper work that says was car legal for road at time of sale?

say yes, assumedly you will have it looking good by then.

3. Now is not the time to really worry about the salvage issue you have alot of work ahead of you.

4. Do make sure you have a least a written bill of sale when you transport it to your home.

5. Worry more about making sure you keep it neat in your neighborhood while you are restoring it i.e. keep it covered or in a garage.

Broadway Title Co. is another you can try.

No previous paperwork required, and its completely legal. Their number is 1-800-464-3222 or go to www.broadwaytitle.com

Forms and prices are available online. 6 - 10 day turnaround on most vehicles.

Good luck

Bri

Thank you for saving a Buick!!! I went to the junk yard the other day and I saw a 72 Riviera that had been all shot up for a movie. What a waste!

I'm still trying. I think no matter what your preferance is this is by far a great hobby. I can't stand to see good old cars in the bone yard. It kills me. If I don't save this one I will save another.

Hi,

Ok, I did exactly the same thing with a car from Montana and brought it into IL. I live right outside of Chicago by the way. Anyway, call up the secretary of state and have them run a status search (or something like that) on the vin number. This is to find out if they have any info on the car. If they come up with anything, such as it has been declared junk, you're in for a long and expensive route to get that thing titled. However, if they say that they have no record of that vin number, your home free. I used Broadway title company in Alabama for my titling needs. They cost $139 and you get a 10% discount for being in a car club (comes to 125.xx or something.)

In case they do have a record on your car, you could always get the car and store it for a maximum of 7 years and then title it. Every seven years IL (and maybe other states too) basically erase all their records for cars that have a wrecked or junk title.

I have heard that it's possible to get a car un-junked, but when I was asking around about half a year ago (before I found out that all you had to do was call and ask if the car is in their system) I got told again and again that once a car gets junked, there's nothing that can be done. But then again, I have heard of people gettting them un-junked, so who knows?

Hope that helped,

Romy smile.gif

Hi Romy,

Thanks for the info I haven't heard from the owner so he may have started parting it and deceided it was a lost cause. But you are right as soon as I get the vin # I can check it for status and I'm good to go. This is exactly how I got my old plates back after I put the car in storage and let them lapse. I kept checking status and then they cleared their records and I got em back.

Thanks for the info! Still trying.

Bruce

O.K. everybody hear we go. I will be getting the vin number to run to see its status in Il. Keep your fingers crossed!!! Cause if it clears the crusher is not going to get lunch on this car!!!!

brh, I do not mean to be nosey, but I am am dying to know what kind of Buick you are saving. It is very cool to hear of another shredder candidate being saved (several of my beaters were heading down that path, too), and I would like to hear how all this turns out. Have fun, Matt.

Since several people were so generous in their knowledge I will keep the forum posted on what happens. I know I will be in for a real adventure, but I love it when that crusher misses one more of our Buicks!!!!

Just as promised I wanted to keep everyone posted. By the way thank you everyone because unless their is some surprise this Buick will be on the road again. The owner was nice enough to furnish the vin # and guess what --no record!! Phase one of many to go. I need to check on my options of how I will be getting the car to IL. I have not seen any pictures of it yet and the owner is not sure its driveable so he is checking it out when he can. It will be a long process but I feel its worth it----heck its a Buick!!!! Keep crossing your fingers but the biggest hurdle has been crossed.

Guest Skyking

In Rhode Island, no title is needed after car reaches 10 years old......It's easy to buy & register old cars here. Too bad other states do not follow these rules.........