Headlight motor repair video

Barney Eaton

I stumbled on this headlight motor repair video..........it also listed it as for Reatta.......the motors are the same and the plastic rollers are the same.

I found the video more humorous than helpful.   If I knew how to do a video I would try and make a better one.

The pin he had to hammer out is not used on the Reatta but once he got that out he could have pulled the gear without taking the assembly apart further.

Also it is not necessary or recommended to try and remove the motor screws as they often break as noted in the video.

I think it was an excellent example of a poorly planned repair.    Have fun watching.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, 63viking said:

Is this the reaction you get when you try to help people?

What reaction were you expecting?  A laugh? :)  Barney said he found the video more humorous than helpful and I agree with him.  The video shows that you need to take the motor off the gearbox to do the repair.  In most cases that is a big mistake if you're just replacing the rollers.

Well, for instance, respect for someone trying to help. If criticism was necessary it could have been

private instead of spreading all over the internet.  Also, the extra procces in the video did not cause 

any problems so it did not need to be commented on.

Laugh? Is that what this is coming too?  

When someone tries to help, we pick it apart and laugh at them?

In todays environment it is difficult to say anything without someone finding fault with it.    I will apologize to the maker of the video when he contacts me so we can get the video corrected, and shortened (all the unnecessary movements removed)

This is not criticism but help getting his next one smoother.    I have a little experience,  30 years ago,  before online owners manuals,  I wrote assembly instructions for a very large company.    These had to be precise with every move included.

Maybe that early work made me recognize when something rambled or left you wondering how a part went together.

As noted....it was not a Reatta he was working on but he did include the Reatta as one of the vehicles that this would work on so there were instruction that covered the Reatta that were missing.

Jon I disagree with " Also, the extra procces in the video did not cause any problems so it did not need to be commented on"

If you have ever twisted off one of those 8-32 screws,  you just made the rebuild take at least twice as long........and if you don't have a drill press, and assortment of drills and lots of patients,  twisting off the screw does cause problems.

In my headlight repair instructions it says " do not remove the 2 motor screws"

Attached is a couple of photos of failed attempts to drill out a broken screw.

DSCN1675.JPG

DSCN2257.JPG

On 10/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, 63viking said:

I am sure that Your instructions are correct and His are not.

Now that we are all in agreement I'm going to lock this topic so we'll remain one big happy family. :) The video speaks for itself. Viewers can take it for what it's worth.

• Ronnie locked this topic