1927 Buick Oil Filter Replacemenbt

40-Torpedo

Just bought a 1927 Buck Standard 6. Trying to get it running and the original oil filter system is on the firewall. I read as many subjects about the oil filter on these here on the forum and I am left with more questions than an answer. I took the three bolts off the top of the port and removed the "filter" - there was a thread here about taking it apart and replacing the element with a WIX 51080. However in trying to dismantle the canister I am left with the thought that the canister is a sealed unit and can not be taken apart? Bob's sells a kit with a replacement filter and form the very simple description it would seem that these can be taken apart and replace the filter element? But I would also like to not spend $225 for a filter. Any knowledge on taking the original canister apart would be appreciated. 

I do realize that a more modern Summit Racing or Jegs remote kit is an option - though I like the original look. 

The original canister is a throw away, like a modern spin on filter is a throw away, no disassembly possible without destroying it. 

I really think it comes down to just that, whether or not you want to keep the original look, or not. 

The Bob's filter is a one time investment, after that the spin on filter inside is $10 or less to replace. 

9 hours ago, Bob Engle said:

Run it without a filter and change oil frequently.  Oil filters were an option on many cars into the early 50's .  Another option is to buy a canister filter on ebay like a tractor filter  and pipe it into the system.Bob Engle

Oil filters were standard equipment on Buicks starting in 1926.

6 minutes ago, 1967 - 1997 Riviera said:

So was it that filters were standard equipment on the higher grade models of Buicks, and optional (or just not available) on the lesser grades, or what?...

Standard equipment on all models, starting in 1926.

1926 models had a flat type filter container, mounted on the passenger side firewall.

1927 models had a  round canister type filter, mounted in the same place.  My 27-25 Standard and 27-54CC Master have the same filter setup as standard equipment.

My 53 Chevrolet has no filter.  I drive it about 300 miles a year and change the oil yearly using 10-30 weight oil.  It has the dipper oil sytem on the rods.  80,000 miles and good compression.

When I worked in my Dad's shop in the 50's, with the switch to detergent oils,  we added cannister filters to a lot of cars to catch the dirt from non detergent oils that was in their systems.

Bob Engle