55 Century transmission

buckeye2

Really hope it don`t happend on your car Beemon.

I was a little bit prepared  just becuse I had heard a "klick" when put the level on rear for many years?But I couldn`t imagen it was the splines,but anyway 10 years ago I bought a rear axle from a 1957 Super-Roadmaster to put in my shed! After the dissaster happends I had to use the 1957 rear axle after some cutting and welding just becuse it didn`t fit as a "bult on".From 1957 there are 1 more universal joint than 1956,and I hope this will help to unload the splines? On my Roadmaster I had to add arond 3-4" on the 1957 inner and outer tubes.

Leif in Sweden.

Bakaxeldelar (4) - Kopia.JPG

Changing to a 1957 rear axle (1) - Kopia.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, old-tank said:

Sorry, but you have the latest that will fit...

...fit your century.  If you had a Super or Roadmaster the 56 transmission would work if you swap the 56 universal joint in torque ball with the one from a 55; then the splines will match the driveshaft.

18 hours ago, Beemon said:

What's so bad about them? I have yet to break them.

More of a problem with standard trans. That's what I've been told, splines become spiral twisted from torque on front of shaft. And those look just cleaned right off in Leifs' photo! It's great to read the stuff you've done on these Buicks Leif! I'm learnin! Now if I can just remember!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)