doubt about oldsmobile engine

roger caiado

I found a web site saying

"the block casting number, which is located on the small shelf above the water pump, where the oil fill tube is located. A 1968-1976 350 block will have casting number 395558. "

this might help you. I don't know what an "engine code" is, I hope you do!

http://www.tpocr.com/oldsec.html

image.thumb.png.00ec8bbc1f2589eaed3407158cee02c0.png

A previous topic.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

15 hours ago, roger caiado said:

I have an oldsmobile engine that needs parts and I do not know if it's 330 or 350 because the numbering is the same for both.

Uh, no.  Each Olds block size has a unique casting number.  What is the number cast into the "shelf" above the water pump, next to the oil fill tube?

01-Olds-V8-block-casting-390925-ID-E-196

46 minutes ago, roger caiado said:

my number is 381917

Which is a 64-67 330 motor.  350 blocks have a 395558 casting number. Don't believe everything you read on the Oldsmobile FAQ on line.  There are a LOT of well documented errors in that document and no way to fix them.

As for parts, what exactly are you looking for?  The 330 and 350 motors are nearly identical except for the bore. Also, the 330 motors all used a 45 degree lifter bank angle, the 350 motors all used a 39  degree lifter bank angle, so cams are different.  The 1964 330 motors with no. 1 heads used shaft-mounted rocker arms.  All others used the normal Oldsmobile stamped rockers with bridges. Also, while the stroke is the same on 330 and 350 motors, the 330 crank is forged. The 350 crank is cast.  The crankshaft flange bolt pattern is different between 1964-67 and 1968-up motors, so the flywheel needs to match.  All 330 motors used the early bolt pattern on the flywheel.

14 hours ago, roger caiado said:

i´ll buy one gasket kit.see in the image below the numbers a nd the years

IMG_20180902_200203_589.jpg

I don't know where you got that table, but that is just a copy of the incorrect casting number info that has been promulgated in the Oldsmobile FAQ for decades. 

If you are looking for a complete engine rebuild gasket set. FelPro KS2613 fits just about ever single Olds V8 made from 1964-1990. The metal intake gasket is not included. You need FelPro 99471 if you have the two piece intake gasket and FelPro MS96009 if you have the one piece intake gasket.