Window Regulator Overhaul '40 Buick

kingrudy

Window Regulator Roller & Rivet 5/16'' - Part #3847282 from Chevs of the 40's 

Well I have my window regulator out of the car and removed the pins, but I am not sure if the parts mentioned above are correct as the rollers were completely gone when I removed the regulator. If these are not correct can someone give me a lead as to where I can get the right ones.

Thanks,

Mike

'40 Buick Super

IMG_0516 (2).jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

Mike, the item you list does not show a picture(or I can`t find it) at the chev 40s site. The rollers I bought and used on my `36 Buick is #3847281, hole has to be welded up and drilled to new rivet size, which is smaller than original hole. The original had a heavy felt or leather washer, no roller like this replacement. When I installed my rollers I didn`t have the correct tool to flair/swedge the rivet end,  after I flattened the rivet end I did a quick burn with my mig to secure it. This is where you have to be careful, too much heat can melt the nylon roller. These are an excellent replacement. "If" the item number you listed, is similiar as I bought except for the rivet stem size, you may not have to weld the hole.  #3847281 has 1/4" stem, #3847282 has 5/16" stem. Picture is of the one I bought.image.png.cfe8d324b0c8d296e367bdb587ca7db9.png

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

So the stock roller looks like a doughnut and is in the guides (top and bottom). This roller will not fit in the guide but will travel on the rail?

The piece you`ve already removed fits inside the C-channel along with the donut, and donut would slide against the inside of the "C" side. I have my doors apart at this time, here is a picture of new roller and C-channel.DSCN5283.thumb.JPG.9ba89d1c8fef5e7e7bafb26827fd9413.JPG

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Side-DoorQuarter-Plastic-Window-Glass-Regualtor-Wheel-Roller-1pc-B/122799386176?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m-Rear-1438.l2649

I also found this part on ebay which does have a roller that does not look like a pulley and would fit in the guides.

I had bought this type first, they will not work. The protrusion of roller is bigger than the opening of the "C"-channel.

Really appreciate the advice and the pics. I will go ahead and purchase the item from Chevs of the 40s with the 5/16" pin. I did not want to start with a complete regulator if these guides will work.

23 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Mike, the item you list does not show a picture(or I can`t find it) at the chev 40s site. The rollers I bought and used on my `36 Buick is #3847281, hole has to be welded up and drilled to new rivet size, which is smaller than original hole. The original had a heavy felt or leather washer, no roller like this replacement. When I installed my rollers I didn`t have the correct tool to flair/swedge the rivet end,  after I flattened the rivet end I did a quick burn with my mig to secure it. This is where you have to be careful, too much heat can melt the nylon roller. These are an excellent replacement. "If" the item number you listed, is similiar as I bought except for the rivet stem size, you may not have to weld the hole.  #3847281 has 1/4" stem, #3847282 has 5/16" stem. Picture is of the one I bought.image.png.cfe8d324b0c8d296e367bdb587ca7db9.png

Mike, when you get the new rollers, I`d like to know if the 5/16" stem measurement is the only difference from the one with the 1/4" stem.  Tom

When installing the seals for the rear quarter window, I believe that the belt strip on the outside reveal and the inside window garnish act like a sandwich to seal the window and keep it from moving side to side. My question is how is it sealed on the front portion of the glass when closed?

42 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

When installing the seals for the rear quarter window, I believe that the belt strip on the outside reveal and the inside window garnish act like a sandwich to seal the window and keep it from moving side to side. My question is how is it sealed on the front portion of the glass when closed?

Mike, seems like I discussed this with you in the past, but no pictures then, I have a compatable computer type camera now, will take some pictures. Yes, the sweeps are applied to both the window perimeter opening of the body and the garnish. Also with this type of slide window there is a trough below the window that catches rain or water, and trough has a drain hose from trough down behind the 1/4 panel thru the floorboard, hose comes out floorboard just in board of the rocker. Over time the hose will rot and come loose from the trough then dumps water on the floor resulting in damage to the interior panel and floor mat/carpet. Will post some pictures later today..  Tom

• Like 1

DSCN5284.thumb.JPG.45f49bb6c5f78686d498e35cac5a5c0a.JPGDSCN5285.thumb.JPG.ac92aa914b15728dc8cc933bb772d7d7.JPGDSCN5287.thumb.JPG.b7317d99f2e7361d759b021ecf59da19.JPGDSCN5292.thumb.JPG.1cd95a529b601a92a7c824bfa50cf009.JPGDSCN5293.thumb.JPG.a14a5c487c5862f16e550189d1a8414f.JPGDSCN5291.thumb.JPG.a366100e46171c9c47609551c58c8321.JPGMike, I`ll try to describe the seal and how it`s attached, first picture is lower front corner pass. side can see outer sweep, thin strip of metal, and the inside where garnish slips over, nail strip for trim is missing. I`m not sure how your body sweeps are with your type exterior SS trim. Picture #3 of dr. side show end location of this "metal strip" better, also notice attaching screw location. This metal strip is held in place by 3 screws, 2 that you can see in picture #2. If your window jamb of your Buick is stripped of all the old seal you should still see the 3 old screw holes. Still talking about the metal strip. Third mount hole is approx 4-5" aft of top front radius,(no picture) probably near end of metal strip..  This metal strip is actually the seal, it measures 9/16" wide and is 18" long, and not much thicker than a beer can, and maybe originally had a felt covering, 1/8" thick. OK, now the jamb where the seal fits, has the old black/oily looking tape goes on first(water-proof),  then what looks like a thin strip of rubber, 9/16" wide, 1/8" thick at the most, and 18" long, may need trimmed shorter, when installing. Rubber strip and metal strip with covering are sandwiched together pushed in place and screwed in off with the 3 screws. Sweeps on the garnish picture #4&5, #6 shows how sweep is spliced together, splice is located in top. You could probably make the seal your self. and someone may make a replacement seal.  Hope this will help.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, have been bust moving my son from Michigan to North Carolina. Thanks for the information, the metal strips are gone, but I think that I will be able to make something very similar. I just finished the front doors, so I'm ready to tackle the quarter windows.