Who has WWW radials on their 40s Buick?

Matt Harwood

I'm looking for some new tires for my '41 Century. The Century had 15" wheels (all other '41 Buicks had 16s), and that means that there is quite a variety of tires for it. I would like to use modern radials for the handling/ride/wear advantages they offer. Does anyone know what size is appropriate? I'm thinking that a 235/75R 15 would look right and handle the car's weight. Also, what brand? There's the BFGoodrich Silvertown, the Coker WWW and the Diamond Back Classics, all in a size that will work. I'd also like the widest whitewall I can find.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

I had a chance to talk with the Diamond Back Classics guys at Fall Charlotte and I was impressed with what they can do. The owner is a career rubber chemist and engineer so he knows what he's doing. They vulcanise a whitewall strip to a new modern radial tire casing in about any width you can imagine. They also do redlines and other color rubber- even had a display tire with triple rings in red, white & blue! Also a 50s style www drag slick with about the neatest recapping job I think I've ever seen.

Their prices are consistent with Coker and they use American made tires if at all possible. I think Coker's www radials are made in Mexico.

I believe some of the BDF'ers have used them with good results.

I looked for a long time for a 4 1/8 white wall for my 40 and ended up with the BF Goodrich bias ,as I could not find any thing. I know the bias tires do not run as long ,because I have worn out 3 sets ,and just put on a new set of BF Goodrich 700X 15 on my Convert. The car has been driven 90,000 miles and really does not handle too badly with the bias tires. If Diamond makes a WIDE Radial it looks like they are the only source. frown.gif

matt- i know a lil shop in s/e wisc that >>>> KNOWS tires org white size . i bought a set for my 52 chevy 100% replica that car left line with in 1952 ! this man knows tires ! he even SHAVES TIRES at an extra charge to make 100% high speed ready ! ever watch that ? he can order them for you and ship em to your place !! let me know ! good luck...... email me or call 262 537 3593 bruce p]s- goodyears and firestoners grin.gif

Guest James Conkwright

Call Coker Tire, they are great to deal with and know the correct size tire. I dont care to much for the look of the Diamodback tire. The Coker tire looks better. Just my opinion

As an aside to this thread, lot of us 57-70 GM big car owners can't find a 14" radial tire big enough for our cars. Just to let you know- Hercules Tire and Cooper still make a 225/75R <span style="font-weight: bold">14</span> tire at about half the cost of Cokers. The major brand tire guys will try to tell you a 215 is big enough, but I don't buy it, especially on an airconditioned car. These are heavy metal cars. Plus a 215 is nearly 2" shorter than the 8.00/8.50-14 tires these cars came with, and that will throw speedometer calibration out the window.

Bought a set of 5 Cooper Trendsetters for the 64 Starfire yesterday. American made, 3/4" whitewall, drives nicely and looks 60s-ish! cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...