Rear End Fill Plug 53-56 Buick

22 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Check Corvette restoration websites, they have one for sale. Give them a call and see what's what. I tried looking last year at FLAPS and could not find anything.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/56-64-differential-fill-plug-w-gasket.html

Don't know about the Corvette item, but tri five chevy did not work on a 55.  Found one matched locally in a blister pack...requires a hex wrench.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joseph P. Indusi said:

I need a new or better rear end fill plug and posted on Buy/Sell.  Does anybody know the thread size on this plug in the hopes of finding a generic new plug as I think this is a rare part. 

Joe BCA 33493

If I remember correctly, the thread is 3/4"-14 NPT (National Pipe Thread). According to a Service Bulletin on Page 47 in the 1953 BPSB abridged Edition, the filler plugs on early 1953 Buicks (earlier models too?) had a thinner base that was prone to occasional breakage of the plug head from the threaded shank. The later-1953 plugs, same thread size, had a thicker base. The plug head should be 3/4"-square. I never checked out a hardware store's plumbing section for one of these.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Thanks to all who responded.  I have the 1953 BPSB and am familiar with the change in the plug.   I have the later plug with the thicker base.   The parts book shows a kit that includes the plug and a leather gasket and this would seem to imply that the threaded shank is a machine thread and is not tapered.   I just don't know for sure.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...