reproduction center caps-am I too picky?

wildcatsrule

I bought a set of the reproduction ribbed center caps for my ralleye wheels. I noticed that the inner chrome ring that surrounds the medallion was not chromed enough, and was casting a yellowish tinge onto the medallions. I returned them and was told that recessed areas of parts do not chrome well and that these reproductions are comparable to the originals. I'm getting these caps back-has anyone else noticed this? Or am I being too picky?

Well- ask yourself the question "Can I get my original center caps rechromed at comparable price and quality?" Then ask "Is NOS available at comparable P&Q?" I'd bet no.

The guy's right, sometimes it's hard to get plating to do right in recessed areas or odd contours. A couple examples from my own experience are front bumpers and license surrounds for 1968-69 Toronado. I finally found an NOS license surround and the chrome on that was just as poor as the rechromed original.

An old friend of mine once said a very profound thing after opening up a package just received. He said if they wanted to be honest they would put in the catalog "Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available"

I think, if you expect ANY repro part to be perfect you will be disapointed every time.

I've purchased some(but certainly not all) repro parts that I'd say quality control excedes what oem parts would call for.

I also purchased an very expensive nos in the factory paper wrapper diecast hood lip molding for a '66 Cutlass that had multiple casting pits that were chromed over but once installed on car you don't really notice any more. Henry

Some guy on ebay last week had a disclaimer on his expensive NOS diecast chrome for sale- "NOS means New Old Stock. It doesn't mean perfect!" I've been told, and seeing is believing, that sometimes service trim parts weren't as nice appearance-wise as what the assembly line used. I remember one guy several years ago kept trying to sell me a 64 Starfire front fender vent that both tips were broken off. "But that's NOS!" he bleated. NOS or no, it's still broken and you want too damn much for it... $150.00 indeed. crazy.gif

Guest John Chapman

Being a perfectionist, this is an issue that I constantly struggle with... an frequently lose out to reality. Somewhere on the web was a lengthy discussion about 'restoration' and what it really meant. It included a funny and concise description of the issue.

If I may paraphrase... in short, we are in love with a concept of our old cars at one time being perfect and we endeavor to return them to that mythical condition. The original author made a strong case for our beloved old cars being unsellable in showroom condition today, when compared to contemporary vehicles with respect to performance, fit and finish. Brian, I clearly remember you explaining to someone how the trunk of the mid-60's Skylark was painted with the speckle paint... something about running at the open trunk with spray gun and getting as much done in a few seconds as possible.

We spend a lot of time and money restoring our cars to a condition (particularly fit, paint, and upholstery) that was impossible to achieve on an assembly line when they were new. We've also allowed our objectivity to become skewed due to the aura that surrounds 'NOS' while completely forgetting that the NOS item (such as the center caps above) were probably produced for a couple of bucks in 1965 and sold for a pittance compared to their market value today. There had to be a limit to quality to meet the price... especially when you consider that the manufacturer probably had less than a thousand dollars of time and material in the Wildcat when it was delivered to the dealer. And, who but us would ever look at the inside of a center cap to see if it was properly chromed?

Cheers,

JMC

Just my 2 cents.

From my experience with NOS quarter panels and trim I am convinced that the production rejects that were considered not up to standards for use on a new vehicle, but not unuseable were packaged up for sale through the parts system. I have received body panels in unopened undamaged boxes with small dings in noticeable areas that would not have been repairable on the assembly line, but easily repaired with body work. Chrome trim and pot metal has been sometimes very marginal and when compared to trim from an original 35yr old car. I know if I were inspecting the two parts at the time of manufacture I would have rejected the one that ended up in the parts box.

Keith

Besides all the wisdom in the other posts, I might add that I ordered center caps for my 1966 Skylark from CARS, Inc about three years ago, and was delighted that the quality was flawless! Just like jewelry.

And, I had about 10 faded originals to compare to.

So, don't compromise or settle, as good repros are certainly possible.

I've bought center caps from Mitch Romanowski, they are absolutely perfect.. I would highly recommend them.

As for the previous post, I have to warn you about CARS. I have had nothing but bad luck with them on all parts I have bought. They have horrible customer service as well.. go with the Romanowski caps if you want it done right the first time.

Thanks everyone for your input- I guess when you look for perfection in man made things, you are bound to be disappointed. I did, in fact, get my caps from CARS. The customer service does leave much to be desired. They can't spell my name right, even after I corrected them, or take the time to return phone calls. I asked for a replacement set of wheel caps and they refused. I was told I could either get a refund, or have the caps that I had returned back-supposedly all they have in stock are in the same condition as the ones I received. Would it have been such a big deal to send me a second set, so I could decide for myself? It is going on a month, and I'm waiting for the caps to be returned-not exactly a positive experience. Live and learn!

Guest John Chapman

Good points in all posts...

I'd never be one to suggest accepting shoddy products and I am keenly attuned to the frustrations of bad customer service (one of my 'collateral' duties at work is managing 40+ cell phone accounts supported by three vendors...now, there is a challenge!).

My point from above is to distinguish between acceptable OEM production quality and the mythical 'restoration' quality. I think a good example of the results experienced when the demand is uncompromising for quality parts is the Corvette restoration community. If you're a substandard supplier or bad at customer service, you just don't survive. But that group is willing and apparently able to pay what it costs to get these parts.

JMC