steering play

Andre Tremblay

Hi, i`m happy, after 18 months of work I can enjoy driving my 1938 Buick 40. But there`s always a little something to improve on those babies ! Now my concern is the steering play. I`ve done the steering gear adjustement. I tried to adjuste the worn shaft end play but, even with the lock nut loosen, the adjusting screw would only move along with the lock nut. So I don`t know if I achieved something there. The third adjustement I tried to do is the lash adjuster but it won`t move even with the lock bolt loosen. I repacked the front bearings and they are all tights ok. So, does anybody knows wath steering play is normal ? I think I still have too much steering play. Thanks !

How much play do you have?

Are all the steering joints in good condition? I mean drag link, tie rod ends and so on? Even king pins? Play can originate in worn joints.

After the steering box adjustments, the next thing is to rebush the shaft out to the steering arm = drop arm = Pitman arm and check the bearings top and bottom of the steering box are in good condition.

Have your assistant move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the locations in the steering where movement can occur. The car needs to be on the ground. Look very carefully at the steering arm where it attaches to the steering box. It takes very little movement in those bushes to get play in the steering wheel.