Speedwell Car/Truck 5x5 Enogine/Cont' "J" 5x5 1907-14/15

Bud Tierney

Anyone out there with a Speedway car (1907-14 Std Cat) or truck (1907-15 Mroz) ) with their  5x5 engine??  or know Speedwell history??

Speedwell started with 4 and 6 Rutenbers, but in 1910 went to a 50HP 4Cyl 5x5 engine, reportedly built themselves (Std Cat)......

Speedway reportedly  used the Cont'l  J  near end of production (firm experienced a rotary valve engine fiasco and a flood per Std Cat)..

Cont'l announced their 5x5 "J" in 1911---article, pix, specs in Automobile Trade Journal Jan 1911 pg 264...a desc of Speedwells 5x5 is in a truck announcement in same Journal November 1911 pg 174 (2, 4 and 6Ton, the 2T apparently using a 41/2x5)...

Parts of the two engine desc match, but I'm not familiar enough with the then construction or terminology to tell if there's something obvious (to more experienced hands)  showing they're different engines...

I'm wondering if Speedwells 5x5 was actually built by Cont'l, possibly to Speedwells specs, and then later marketed by Cont'l as their "new "J"...

Any comments appreciated...my apologies for never learning to link. The ATJ is easily available thru hathitrust.com...

• 3 years later...

It appears Speedwell used a Contenial engine with no data plate on it.  They used cast top water jacket plates with Speedwell. In raised letters to make it look like they made their own engines.  Am looking for a block of you know of any.

OUCH!!

If you haven't already, and tour block seems even remotely patchable, you should research block repair in these old-car/truck/Ag vehicle forums--some amazing repairs have been made using new technology/materials...

I will eyeball my period catalogs, most of which also have a "motors" section for the proprietary engine builders, but they're weak on 'teens listings...

Don't confuse with the J4, a then popular truck engine (itself hard to find per recent comments)...

You might also try Dennis at WEHS.NET, who may be able to advise re' the "J" engine, possibly builders engines wer originally shipped to---they're extremely friendly/helpful people thers, and you're going to need all the help you can find...

My apologies for the gloom; will advise what i find...

SHEESH!!, ignore WEHS, that's the Wauk people....it's been hot here in Portland and my brain hasn't cooled yet... you know Monte's from earlier threads. I understand they've advised they have little on pre-1920, but they're worth a try...

Also regret to advise I have nothing useful on the J; it's too early for my catalogs...

These thoughts never come up at the right time...

I don't know if Cont'l  had much early penetration of the heavy eqpmt industry, but you mught try both posting on and contacting HCEA....I don't get into the site very often as ir had little forum traffic, but I understand they have a considerable old literature librarsy, the theory here being Cont'l may've peddled the J as a const eq/industrial engine...

Similarly, you could post on some of the old farm/Ag sites, the theory here being that farmers had a thing for pulling engines out of crippled cars to turn into power units, and not all of them get melted during the war...

My apologies, of course, for belaboring the obvious...